THIRTY-SEVEN

Layne and I sit in a cab on our way to my old home. Ugh, it feels weird bringing him there....a place where I had tried to kill myself. Blowing a small breath, I glance at the darkened sky out the car window before looking back at Layne.

"Are you nervous?" I ask him. Layne smiles, shaking his head no. "I'm nervous," I laugh. "You're really not nervous?"

"Now I am," He laughs as he rubs my thigh.

"This is my first time bringing someone home."

"I know I'm the lucky guy," Layne smiles before kissing me on the cheek.

Ugh, I should have thought about this more. Dramatically, I bury my face into his shoulder; my face cringing as it hits his cold leather jacket.

"We should turn back around," I murmur into his arm. My head still resting on him, and I feel his entire body shake as he laughs. "You laughing at me?" I ask, lifting my head to look at him.

"I would never," he jokes as he squints his eyes. Layne then kisses me on the cheek again before bringing his lips to my ear, "Just breathe."

"There's no time for that," I joke.

"There's always time for breathing, babe," he chuckles. "Come on, deep breaths," he says as he begins to inhale deeply, showing me. I stare at his lips, smirking at how he is giving me my own breathing lesson. So cute."There you go," Layne chuckles as I inhale and exhale with him.

My eyes then lift to his hair...his pink hair. Ugh, my mom is going to have a field day. "We should have dyed your hair back," I blurt out.

"What's wrong with my hair?"

"....Nothing." Layne throws his head back, groaning at my comment before attacking my neck with vampire bites. I yelp in excitement, causing the cab driver to glance at us from the rearview mirror. "We're here," I then realize, noticing us pulling up to my old home. Layne pauses the neck bitting and looks out the window.

"You ready?" Layne asks me.

I nod, putting on my best happy face. Here we go.

As the cab driver helps Layne with our luggage, I notice my mom standing on the porch, watching us. What the hell? Grabbing my suitcase and purse, I approach her, and Layne soon follows me.

"Were you waiting for us?" I ask her, laughing once on the porch.

My mother ignores my question and tightly wraps her arms around me. "My baby," she whispers into me.

"Mommy," I murmur into her neck, smelling the coconut drifting from her skin. Mmmh. I melt under the seven months that were built in the hug. I almost want to apologize for leaving...and for trying to.

She releases me, her eyes wetter than the light rain that's starting to drip. Mommy parts her lips, and I curiously wait to see what she will say.

But then she looks at Layne.

~~~~ ~~~~~

"I don't know who's a better cook," Layne begins, laughing as he brushes his teeth. "You or your mom."

Layne and I stand in the bathroom...the bathroom....where I'd... shaking the thoughts, I focus on Layne's comment on dinner.

"My mom," I tell him as I brush my teeth.

Despite my nerves, dinner with Layne and my mom went better than expected. My mom also seemed to do her homework on Layne...though her first question to him was, "so you're famous?" She seemed to like him though.