NINE

Every time I took Terri out for a walk, I hoped to spot Layne again but never did.

Though Friday soon came, I was hoping to see him tonight at Chris's Band performance, which I learned was named Soundgarden. Damn, I must have been living under a rock.

Though I was impatient to see Layne, I imagined what it'd be like to see Chris again. As I got ready, I prayed that seeing Chris wouldn't be awkward.

"You think he's gonna stop the show in the middle of a song and stick his tongue down your throat?" Shana asks me. I knew she was playing, but I didn't like her tone.

"You're right," I chuckle, "I'm overreacting for no reason."

Shana shrugs, "Well, he might. You do look hot." After slipping my feet into the pair of brown boots, I admired my outfit in the full-length mirror;

" After slipping my feet into the pair of brown boots, I admired my outfit in the full-length mirror;

~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~

Around 10:00 pm, Shana and I arrived at the small venue and strolled towards the bar. Shana wastes no time ordering us both a rum and coke. Though I craved something sweeter, I accepted the drink, knowing it would at least get me drunk.

"Here comes my man." I hear Shana sing as I take a sip of the drink the bartender put too much alcohol in.

Trying to hold the sour look, I turned my head to see Layne and the guys walking over to us.

Mike wraps an arm around Shana's waist, waving hello to me. Jerry and Sean rake their eyes up and down before giving me a tight hug.

"Sean, I haven't seen you in forever," I mention.

"We can fix that," Sean winks before ordering himself a drink.

"Ooh, what are you drinking, girlie?" Jerry asks, eyeing my drink.

"Rum and coke, you want the rest?" I offer to him, feeling lit already.

"Mmh, I love sloppy seconds." Jerry grins as he takes the drink from my hands, drowning it in seconds.

I laughed and turned to Layne, who was the last to get a greeting from me. After hugging him, Layne leaned forward and whispered in my ear, "You look beautiful."

"Thank you," I say, taking the time to observe him.

He wears severely ripped denim jeans that he might as well cut into shorts and a unbutton multi-color vest, revealing his shirtless chest. The only questionable thing is the random Santa hat that does not mix well with his blue hair. Plus, it's not even winter.

"You look...what are you wearing?" I ask him, holding back a laugh.

"You don't like it?"

"It looks like you lost a bet."

Layne smiles, leaning forward again. "I did."

"Or you don't know how to dress yourself."

"I actually have to do loads of laundry," he laughs.