THIRTY

Turning, I slowly open my eyes to Layne's bare chest. It heaves up and down peacefully like a boat on a wave. My eyes focus on his chest hair before I place my palm on it.

"Your hands are so cold," he hisses, opening his eyes. Layne smiles as they meet mine.

"You were in my dream," I tell him, shyly smiling at him.

Layne chuckles, "how was my hair?"

"We took a walk...ended up at that park and then in the water," I then say, parts of the dreams coming back in flashes.

"...I had the same dream," Layne says unsurely.

"Seriously?"

He nods, "What else happened?"

"...This song was playing-" I pause, trying to remember the lyrics. "I feel you...." I begin to sing. "Your sun, it shines...I feel you...."

Layne hums the rest, "Our song."

"Yeah, that's what you said."

"Yeah, I remember now," he laughs, making a funny face."How the hell did we have the same dream?"

"I have no idea...." I turn on my back and stare at the ceiling. How the fuck can we have the same dream?

"I saw you sleeping...your body," Layne then says.

I nod, "I saw yours too."

"And then...I saw you jump inside..of you." I nod again, remembering that part as well. So weird. "But..." Layne then stops himself.

I look at him, confused, until I see them. The words paused on his lips. He remembers. I remember it as well. I remember everything.

Layne clears his throat, "Andrea...."

I look everywhere but him, trying to find an exit."Shit, what time is it? I'm watching Terri today," I lie.

"On a Saturday?"

Getting from the bed, "Tanya wants me to watch her for a couple of hours," I explain as I jog into the bathroom. I search for his extra toothbrushes, but they're not in their usual spot. "Where are the toothbrushes?"

"You used them all." Layne now stands outside the bathroom door, looking at me, then "We really should talk though...."

"Can't it wait? I have to get in the shower." His eyes flow in a daze as I bend down and slide my panties off. I could sense his mind was wishing I wasn't wearing one of his oversized shirts.

Layne then steps into the bathroom, scratching his chin as he stares at me.

His famous smirk is placed on his lips, "You're so good at this."

"At what?" I ask as his hands find my waist.

Layne releases a long sigh. He drops one of his hands from my waist, using it to stroke my cheek. I love his blue eyes. But I can't tell his blue eyes what happened. Blue eyes can never know. Everything is going so good.

"I'll go buy you a toothbrush," he says, walking out of the bathroom. And I can tell that he's frustrated.

"Thank you," I say quietly, staring at his back.
"Can you get some M&M's too?"

"Or I can get you a real breakfast," he laughs.

"Ahh, I guess," I laugh, awkwardly playing with my fingernails.

"...We're still going to talk, you know...." I hear him say from his room.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I sing softly as I close the bathroom door.

~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~~ ~~~~~~ ~~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~~

Layne is still gone by the time I get out of the shower. I shake off the water and nerves off me, not ready to have that conversation yet...with him.

With a towel wrapped around my body, I walk into the bedroom, quickly spotting a mystery-looking bag on his dresser that wasn't there before. Oh, God. is that it? I shouldn't look. I shouldn't. But what if it is...my engagement ring. Could it be? Would Layne leave it out in the open like that?

I bite down on my nails, creeping upon the dresser. He must have forgotten to hide it before he left....Or maybe he wanted me to see it...And if he didn't, I'll act like I didn't see it. Okay, good plan Drea, good plan.

Slowly, I untie the bag. And wait for a beautiful ring box to put out, but...My eyebrows crease as I stare at a rusty silver spoon, grayish powder in a bag, and a syringe, with some dried blood on the top of the needle.