FOURTEEN

Two months went by fast, and before Shana and I knew it, the boys were back from their tour. I laid in bed this Saturday morning, my eyes suffocated with deep lines of tears. I don't know what's wrong with me. I woke up with emptiness, and it wasn't coming from my stomach.

I hear the phone singing from the living room, and then Shana's heavy-footed self runs towards it. A few seconds later, my bedroom door squeaks open, and I shut my eyes. I sit still as some tears escape from my lower eyelids.

"Drea," I hear Shana say. I squeeze my eyes tighter. "Layne's on the phone."

Admitting to my role, I stir and slightly turn. I hear my door close after a minute of nothing. Finally. As I wipe my closed eyes, I hear movement in front of me. Snapping my eyes open, I see Shana standing beside my bed, staring me down.

"I knew your ass wasn't sleeping," she says. But then notices wetness on my cheeks, "Were you crying?"

"I just yawned," I lie. "What did Layne want?"

"Why don't you get your ass up and find out."

"He's still on the phone?"

"Yup, and it's rude to keep a hard-working man like him waiting," she says as she yanks my blanket off me. Bitch. Shana skips out of my room, leaving my door wide open.

I lay in the bed for another moment, trying to locate the energy to get up. Layne is waiting for me. I imagine him on the couch; a cordless phone pressed to his ear. Patient. So patient.

"Okay," I say to myself before getting up from bed.

Shana is nowhere in sight when I enter the living room. But our cordless phone lays lonely on the coffee table.

I cleared my throat before bringing the phone to my ear, "Layne?"

"Andrea."

"Hey." I quickly found myself smiling at his sweet voice.

"Hey, how are you doing?" Layne asks me. His question felt like the equivalent of "are you okay?" I couldn't handle the weight of it but tried to hide it from him.

I sucked everything in and stared at the ceiling, "Good...good. Wha-what about you?"

"I'm doing good. It feels so fucking good to be back home," he sighs.

"I'm happy you're back too."

"You are?"

I nodded but then realized he couldn't see me. "Yeah. I missed you," I smile, remembering how we left off.

"I missed you too...I'm sorry I didn't call you right when we got back. I've been exhausted."

"It's alright. You had a busy three months."

"True...anyways, I was hoping to cash in my second date coupon...if it's not expired yet," he adds.

"It's not," I chuckle.

"You sure?"

"It expires tonight. Spit it out."

"I'll pick you up in an hour."

~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~

Dressed for my date, I sat anxiously on the living room couch and waited for Layne;