TWENTY-FIVE

The next two weeks went by slowly as hell as I avoided Shana by sleeping over between Tanya and Layne's. I know I could have avoided her just by locking myself in my room. But after what happened at the club, it feels weird being in the same space as her.

I understand the jealousy, though. She has been with Mike for however long now, and he hasn't even brought up the idea of marriage to her ears. Is it my fault that my man is more romantic than him?

I could have hurt her. I could have. Like how her words have hurt me. I kind of wish I did.

Damn, so many good comebacks are just coming to my mind right now!

.....It has also been two weeks since I have been on birth control. And you know what that means....

Wearing my new set of lingerie, I lay on my back as Layne lays beside me on his bed;

"You really got this for me, huh?" Layne asks, admiring the slip-on dress.

"Who says I got it for you?"

"Babe, you never wear blue."

"Maybe I wanted to try it out."

"Or maybe you wanted to make an event out of this," he laughs, trailing a finger along my inner thigh.

"Maybe," I shrug. Then, "And where's your effort?"

Layne sits up from the bed, grinning too hard as he pulls his pants down, revealing a new pair of blue plaid boxers.

"That's it?" I joked as if I wasn't impressed.

"I also got you this," Layne says, moving to a box I didn't notice sitting on his dresser. I sit up and swing my legs to the edge of the bed. "You know, every time I see a frog, I think of you."

"Really?"

"Mmm-hmm," Layne nods as he squats down in front of me with a ring box. Oh, God. "It's a promise ring," he says after opening the box;

 "It's a promise ring," he says after opening the box;

Oh...a promise ring?

"...And what do you promise?" I ask him as I stare at the beautiful but interesting ring.