2 • 𝓤𝓻𝓸𝓴𝓸𝓭𝓪𝓴𝓲 𝓢𝓪𝓴𝓸𝓷𝓳𝓲

I realised that I didn't know where the mountin was. After all, I do not have any memories of my earlier years. I slowed down my pace until I was beside Tanjiro. The sky turned from a deep, velvety navy, into a sea green colour with fiery streaks of red and orange. Dawn was appreaching. "Kamado-san, dawn is approaching. We must find shade to shelter your sister until we find a better way of travelling with her." I offered. The boy's burgundy eyes seemed to widen. Possibly because it was the first time I had spoken in front of him.

A few metres away, there was a small cave. We decided to let the demon to stay there until we found a basket of some sort to keep her in there. There was a farm nearby thus we decided to pay for a basket. "Excuse me?" Tanjiro asked, pointing in the basket's direction," Would it be okay if I took that basket, straw and some bamboo?" 

 "Sure, you're welcome to it but that basket's full of holes." the man tending to his land stated.

"I'll pay you for it." the boy offered. The man began to protest.

"No, it's alright. I mean, it's a basket with holes."

"Yes I will pay you."

"No, it's alright. You can have the bamboo and straw for free too."

"But I'm still paying you!" Tanjiro declared, searching through his pocket. This carried on, and the argument was won by the burgundy-haired boy. He slapped some money into the man's hand, breaking his wrist. I watched the scent unfold whilst awkwardly standing by the side of the path. When we turned around to head back to the cave, the man let out a cry of pain.

⁌  •  ⁍

"Nezuko?" Tanjiro called, poking his head in the cave, "Huh? Nezuko? She's gone!"

"No she isn't," I said, pointing near the back of the cave. A small figure could be seen with their head poking out of the ground. "There she is."

'She dug a hole? My kid sister turned into a mole.' Tanjiro thought, frowning slightly, 'And she's frowning. She must really want to avoid the sunlight.'

"Just wait a second," the boy cried, heading towards the basket. He cut down the bamboo and began to weave the basket to cover up all the holes. He was a skilled basket weaver. I had never seen anyone work so fast before. "Nezuko? Nezuko? Think you can fit inside this?" Tanjiro asked, pushing the basket towards her," I want to keep moving in the daylight too. I'll carry you, okay?"

The girl continued to frown. Then, she crawled into the basket. But she was much too big for it. "Hey, Nezuko?" Tanjiro asked, an idea springing to mind," You know how you got bigger, so can you get smaller?" The demon girl just looked at the boy in confusion. "Smaller, Nezuko. Smaller." the boy urged, trying to make her understand. Finally, the girl shrunk to the size of a toddler and jumped, head-first, into the basket. "Let's go," I impatiently said, walking out the mouth of the cave," If we do not pick up our pace, we will encounter more demons than necessary." That wasn't the only reason why I wanted to hurry up so badly. I also wanted to stay as far as possible away from Kibutsuji. 

"You're right, Y/N- san. I apologise." he gave a bow to me.

"No, that's not what I meant!" I cried, flustered that he was bowing to me for no particular reason," I just- . Well, I am being pursued by this man. He was evil and treated me horribly. I escaped from him so I need to stay far away. That is why I am in such a hurry. I am the one who should be apologising." I bowed to the boy, guilt seeping into me. But the boy just smiled at down at me. It wasn't a teasing smile. Just a genuine, warm smile. Ones that will make anyone feel better." It's quite alright. I don't understand, but I accept it. And thank you for saving Nezuko and me. We both really appreciate it." I was at a loss for words.