35 • 𝓦𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓲𝓷𝓰

A family was in the mountains. A woman and a man, both in love. They had a stable job and a decent house. They were happy together. 

After a few years, they had a child. A lovely boy. 

Four years later, they decided for another child. This time, they got a girl. However, the girl had mysterious eyes. They thought it was a blessing. Or it could be a curse. 

They didn't mind though. All they cared about was raising their children with love. The father would go out to work, and the mother would either get food from the mountains and cook, or she would teach her children. 

She taught them how to fend themselves, and how to live out in the wild. The brother was more timid, scared of many things. The girl was a fierce one, able to shoot a bow from the age of seven. She would usually spend many ours outdoor, getting meat for her family from a young age. Sometimes boar, sometimes getting hare. 

It was a good life. 

However, one night would wreck the family apart forever. 

The winter sun darkened over the sky, disappearing beneath the hills. The family knew of the demons prowling around the mountains, but they didn't think much of them. After all, no one saw them for decades. They surely were dead, weren't they? 

The father helped set the table for dinner, and the mother passed the bowls of rice around. "Itadakimasu," the said with their hands together, before beginning to eat. The father managed to get a dessert for dinner, which wasn't often. Mochi was rarely eaten at the table due the meagre wages he got. 

The children squabbled over the  mochi, both wanting the red bean one. "Now, now," the mother smiled down at them," Just share it. There's enough for the both of you." 

She pulled the mochi apart, stretching it for a bit before finally splitting it in half. She handed one to each child. 

"There. Now you both get to have it." 

"Thank you," they mumbled, before shoving the whole thing into their mouth. The father chuckled. 

"Your faces! Oh gosh, there's red bean paste all over them!" he reached over with a cloth and wiped his daughter's face, before wiping his son's face. 

"We'd better sleep soon," the mother said, looking out," It's getting late." 

They heated up a fire, before climbing into their futons, snuggling next to each other for warmth. 

Gentle snoring filled the room. Moonlight filtered through the gap in the shutters, illuminating the girl's sleeping face. Though the house was asleep, a creature prowled around the mountains. 

With a clawed hand, it knocked twice on the door. When no response came, it drove its fist thought the wood, splintering it. After several more punches, the door was no more.

By this time, the father woke up. "What on earth-" he thought, walking out of his bedroom. 

A suited male stood at the doorway of his house. "Who are you?" the father asked. 

Without responding, the mysterious man reached out a finger, cutting into the man a bit. He sniffed the blood, before turning his nose in disgust. 

"You're not the one," he muttered, before punching the father in the stomach. He slammed against the door, blood spilling from his mouth. The whites of his eyes could be seen.  

The man walked to the other room, where the rest of the family slept. He didn't bother using his strength to punch the door, he just slid it open. 

Three people - one woman, one boy and one girl. They all slept side by side, with the mother closest to the door. The girl's futon was a mess, and she was kicking her brother in her sleep. 

The man stepped closer to the mother, before sinking a finger into her arm. Lifting it up, he tasted the blood. 

Worse than the father's.

He grabbed the mother by the arm, before throwing her behind him. A sickening crunch could be heard. 

The brother was unlikely to be the one with the best blood, but he can't be sure. Before he could step closer to the boy, thought, a knife was lodged into his shoulder. 

"HARU!" a woman's voice yelled," HARU! Get Y/N AND GO! A DEMON'S HERE!"

"So annoying," 

The man walked over to the mother. Blood was trickling down her neck, from the wound on her forehead. She's die soon. 

Gripping her hair, he ripped her head right off her shoulders. Crimson eyes stared at her dead brown ones. 

A shame. She could've been his wife if she had the blood, but no matter. 

When he went back to the bedroom, he noticed the door open. It lead outside. 

"I'm a fool,"

He went outside, following the one set of footprints in the snow. It was evident that the brother was holding his sister. 

He followed the footprints until he found the boy and girl. He was right. The boy had the girl on his back, and he was struggling to run through the snow. The man could hear his teeth shatter in the cold. 

The man dashed forwards, blocking the boy's path. "AH-" the boy shouted, stumbling back. He dropped his sister to the ground, covering her with his body. 

"Hand over the girl," the man's cold voice echoed around the trees," If you do, you will be spared."

"NO!" the boy said," Y/N RUN!" 

"Don't be stupid," the man said," you really think that scrawny girl could outrun me? A demon?"

Without warning, he struck the brother, nailing his right on the head. "He can't be the one, anyways. He's too weak."

The man turned to the girl, who was shivering in the cold. "Now, are you willing to submit to me, or do you want to face the same fate as the rest of your family?" 

The girl knew she had no choice. What's the point of dying such a sad death? 

"Come, Y/N, he held out his hand," Be useful to us."

⌁•⌁

Tbh, I could barely write for the past few weeks because suddenly, all my teacher decided to give me too much homework for me to handle. 

Anyways, sorry for the wait. I literally had to unpublish my other story just so I could focus on this one and also because I sort of hate my other one. 

Have a nice day. :)