40 • 𝓓𝓪𝓴𝓲

EDO - YOSHIWARA

An Oiran painted her lips with a brush, before patting off the excess with a tissue. The  doors were flung open, and the owner of the house stood before her.

The owner narrowed her eyes when she saw the Oiran. "This all happened when you got here, you know," she shouted," How many people do you think have disappeared from this house? What's you business here?"

The Oiran turned from her mirror, before facing her with a smirk on her face. She got to her feet, walking to the woman. The doors closed behind her, and when she emerged from the room, no one was there. 

And the disappearances keep on going. On and on. 

Present Time

You and Tanjiro were set to clean up the Owner's room. Brooming the floor, dusting the furniture, cutting and preparing the flowers, placing them in vases, wiping the hallway floorboards.

"Ma'am, we've finished," you said, going into her room.

"Already?" she asked, dumbfounded. 

"What should we do?" Tanjiro said, eagerly sitting down. 

"Next? Um. . ."

Tanjiro grabbed her tea cup, and replaced it with a fresh cup from who knows where. "Oh, sorry to trouble you," she said, gratefully. 

"Madame, what next?" Tanjiro asked," Madame what next? MADAME!"

"would you be quiet for a second? JUST FOR A SECODN HOLD ON!"

With that, Tanjiro went over to the sliding door and cleaned the hinges(?). 

"You're such a quick worker, and both of you are such diligent children," she sighed. 

 In the Kyogoku House

"I want you to stop it now!" the owner yelled. She stood facing the Warabihime in her own room. A soft red glow emitted from the lamps, casting an eerie atmosphere over the room. 

"Stop what?" Warabihime asked, facing the older lady.

 The owner paused for a moment, carefully thinking over her words. "Stop forcing the other girls to get hurt and commit Ashinuke and suicide," she said," That's what! As for the ones who committed suicide, you might as well have bullied them to death, Warabihime!"

The younger girl glared at the lady. "That's a harsh thing to say, madame. You're not going to take my side, then? Isn't it their fault for irritating me?"

The owner struggled for a moment, as if disgusted by her nerve. "Until now, I've looked away more times than I could count!" she protested," But there's something not right about you. I can't protect you anymore!"

Warabihime cocked her head to the side, a vein pulsing on her forehead. "And exactly whose earning allowed this House to prosper, you hag?"

"Years and years ago," the owner began, her eyes shaking," When I was still a child, the old lady from the teahouse told me a story. She'd become very forgetful, but she told me of a certain Oiran. She was incredibly beautiful, but also incredibly twisted by nature.

The old lady said she'd seen such Oirans when she was a child, and again, when she was middle-aged. These Oirans were fond of names ending with 'hime'. And if anything were to irritate them, they'd cock their heads to the side and glare at you from below. That was the unique habit they shared." 

The hand behind her back trembled, while it held a large knife.

"You!" the old lady exclaimed," Who are you? Could it be that you- That you're not human?" The light from the room extinguished, and the two woman disappeared from the room. 

Up on the rooftop, a large cloth bound the owner, while a demon held her terrified face. "That's the kind of thing. . . that you should keep you mouth shut about when you realise it." the demon spoke, her obi flying about in the wind. "It's the smart way to live," she continued," that's how everyone survived, until now."

The demon floated above the house, the owner's body close to her. The knife was still in her grasp as she struggled to sink it into the demon's body. 

"I guess you're far more stupid than I thought," the demon said," It's a real shame, Omitsu." She bared her teeth, and in her eyes, the words 'Uppermoon Six' were escribed.

"There's no reason for you to be so scared! The dried flesh of old hags taste horrible. If it's dirty or ugly, I'd never put it in my mouth." She laughed," Goodbye Omitsu."

At once, the obi that wrapped around the lady's body loosened, and the old lady's body fell with a thud. Passer byes huddled around the owner's body, as blood seeped from under the woman's body.   

"Oh no!"

"Isn't that the madame?" 

The Uppermoon leapt down to her room, pleased with herself. However, she paused when she someone in her room. Someone wearing westernised clothing, and a white fedora. 

"How are you doing?" the man asked, not yet looking at her. 

"Muzan-sama!" Daki exclaimed. The Demon King lifted his head to look at her. 

"I can see that you've devoured scored of humans," he said," You've gained even more power than before. Well done."

"Yes!" She knelt on the ground, her head held low. 

"But you mustn't let your guard down," His tone turned more serious," The more thing go your way, the more apt you are for the rug to get pulled from under you."

"Understood." 

"A skilled member from the Demon Slayer Corps, like a Hashira, would be able to recognise up as demons instantly. On the other hand, we can't tell any difference between humans at a glance.

Although we can distinguish from blood type, disease and genes. . . things humans don't know of." 

He paused before standing up and walking to the middle of the room. "Daki. . . I have high hopes for you," he said, reaching for her face," No one's as beautiful as you, nor as strong. You've disposed of seven Hashira"

Daki reached to hold his hand, a light blush forming on her cheeks. 

"You're going to become more powerful than before. You'll become cruel. You're an extraordinary demon." he layered on the praise," And so, I'm going to ask you of one thing."

"If you happen to see a girl with (h/c) hair, trap her immediately. Do not harm her."

"Tanjiro, something wrong?" you asked, as the male stopped and looked up at the sky. The two of you were carrying cushions for the Oiran, and were walking to her room. 

"There's a murky scent in the air," he said," At night, in this city, there's a murky scent in the air."

You looked up at the crescent moon. Though it was unlikely, you couldn't help but think Muzan has something to do with it.

"I guess he just finds me everywhere,, no matter what," you thought, your eyes fixed on the stars. 

⌁•⌁

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Anyways, I just finished reading Sweet Home. The ending was crazy, it's such a good manhwa. 

Have a nice day. :)