22 • 𝓐𝓰𝓪𝓲𝓷𝓼𝓽 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓒𝓸𝓻𝓹𝓼 𝓡𝓾𝓵𝓮𝓼

A boy picked up a snowball and hurled it to a boy. He dodged it, which caused the snowball to hit another child in the face. They kept on dodging and making snowballs, having the time of their lives. They looked so happy. 

A young boy looked at them. He had spiky black hair and blue eyes. He wanted to play with them. However, after just one step, he fell down with a thump. There he lay, face buried in the snow, coughing. His small body shook after every cough. He turned his body so he could lay on his back, looking at the blue sky. It was peaceful, looking at the clouds while his breath solidified in front of him. 

"Rui! Rui!" a woman called. She came into his view, holding his shoulders. "Rui! What are you doing? You know you're not supposed to be outside!"

A young boy was inside a house, under a futon. The door was open, and you could see flakes of snow falling gently. "I was always very frail," the demon Rui said," Ever since I was born. I'd never even run. Just walking was a struggle."

The boy closed his eyes in sadness. He looked to the door frame and saw a figure standing there. A white cloak swayed gently in the wind. A tall man loomed over the boy, wearing white trousers and a black dress shirt. He had red eyes and silky black hair. 

"Until Muzan-sama appeared."

"You pitiful thing. Let me save you." the demon king spoke.

"My parent weren't happy about it. Because now I've acquired a strong body, I could never expose myself to sunlight and I had to devour humans."

"What have you done?" his father asked the boy. A dead body was in front of him.  "What on earth have you done? Rui!"

The mother was sobbing behind his father, while the boy looked up innocently, not understanding the severity of the situation. 

"There was once a father who died trying to save his drowning child. Such astounding parental love. And such a bond, as well. This father who had drowned in the river had fulfilled his role as a parent. And yet. . .for some reason. . .

My own parents. . .tried to. . . kill me." 

The father raised a knife over his son's small body. His mother sobbed, not stopping her husband. When the father's shadow loomed over the boy, his eyes shot open. In a nanosecond, his parents were nothing but a puddle of blood. 

Rui looked up at the cold full moon. "They must've been imposters," he concluded," The bond between us wasn't real."

He looked over at his mother's trembling body. "Sorry. . ." she mumbled. 

"She's saying something." he thought. "So, she's still alive?"

". . . for not giving you a strong, healthy body, I'm so sorry." she said. Her voice was less than a whisper and tears were flooding her eyes. Rui's own eyes widened. 

"Those were my mother's last words before she died. She died."

He thought back when his father tried to kill him. "It's alright, Rui!" he said, tears streaming down his face. The blade trembled in his hands. "We're going to die with you!"

"I was so enraged that he tried to kill me that my father's words went over my head. But, in that moment, I mean the died with me to atone for the sin of having murdered another. It was a genuine bond. And that night, I severed it. With my own hands."

A man arrived at the scene. His highly polished shoes tapped the wooden floor lightly, his silky black hair flowing in the gentle breeze. His cold, ruby eyes regarded the orphan before him.