34 • 𝓑𝓮𝓰𝓲𝓷𝓷𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓸𝓯 𝓪𝓷 𝓔𝓷𝓭

Blood dripped from Rengoku's mouth. His breaths shortened, and he was swaying slightly. You knew he couldn't fight anymore. 

"Rengoku!" Tanjiro yelled. 

Akaza noted Rengoku's weakened state. "Even if you fight to the death, you can't beat me, Kyojuro," he said, squinting his eyes," Those impressive slashes you inflicted on me already healed completely."

He gestured to the slash on his chest, which closed up instantly. "But what about you?" he said, looking at the Hashira. 

"A smashed left eye, shattered ribs and damaged internal organs. . ." he listed," All irreparable. If you become a demon, you'd heal in the blink of an eye. Those would be mere scratches for a demon."

"You can struggle all you want, but you'll never beat a demon. Ever."

You saw Tanjiro trying to lift himself you, obviously wanting to help Rengoku. He clutched the wound in his side, sweat forming on his forehead. His body convulsed horribly. 

"Stay down," you told him, crouching beside him," I know you want to help him, but you're in no shape to do it."

"He needs help though!" he said, weakly. 

"I'll help him. I've been looking for spots where the most fatal attack will occur. Don't worry." you smiled somewhat confidently. "I'll make sure to help him."

You gently shoved him on the ground. "Inosuke, make sure he doesn't get up again."

Back on the battleground, Rengoku still didn't give up on his fight. New flames burned around him, fluttering his haori and hair. 

"Kyojuro, why. . ." Akaza mumbled, gazing at Rengoku's burning figure. 

"I. . ." he began, going into a new stance, a smile on his face." I will fulfil my duty! I will not allow anyone here to die!"

"I'll damage his body as much as I can in an instant,"  he thought." Flame Breathing. . .Esoteric Art!"

Flames washed over the floor, lighting them up for a second. 

Akaza shuddered. "What a tremendous fighting spirit!" he cried," Amazing aura despite those injuries! That mental strength!" He smiled wide. 

"That airtight stance!" 

A cruel laugh played on his lips. "Guess you'll have to become a demon after all, Kyojuro!" he yelled, lifting his arms," Let's fight each other for eternity!" 

Rengoku ignored the demon. "Set your heart ablaze!" he told himself," Go beyond your limits!"

"I'm the Flame Hashira!" he declared, tightening his grip on his sword," Rengoku Kyojuro! Ninth Form. . . Rengoku!"

"Akaza prepared his own attack. "Destructive Death, Annihilation Type!"

Rengoku shot forwards, a flame dragon encasing him, driving his forwards. Akaza brought his fist towards the racing dragon, and you sensed something wrong. 

Someone's going to die. 

As a cloud of dust erupted around the pair, you dashed forwards, ignoring Tanjiro's screams. 

You saw the flames. 

The flashes of blue. 

The yelling.  

You threw your body forwards, pushing Rengoku's out of the way and. . .

Blood spilled out of your mouth. You coughed some out weakly, looking at the arm embedded in your abdomen. 

"H-huh?" Akaza said, looking up at your face," Y/N?" 

"Hello, Akaza," you said, smiling grotesquely as blood continued to leak out of your mouth. A scream echoed across the land. 

"NOOO!" you heard Tanjiro yell," Y/N!" 

"Why did you block it?" Akaza said," I was supposed to kill him, not you. I never wanted to hurt you. Ever." He tried tugging his arm out of you, but failed. 

"Why did you want to bring be to Muzan then?" you spat. 

A pained look fell on Akaza's face. "I missed talking with you," he admitted," You were a good friend to me, even though you were a kid. I didn't want you dead by another demon, so I had to bring you back. I never drank your blood, anyways."

"You didn't?" you said, stunned," How're you strong then?" 

"Don't talk so much," he warned. He cut off his arm, pulling it out of you and laid you on the ground. Gently lifting your head, he took your blindfold off. 

"I missed looking at your eyes. They're blue now." he muttered.

"Focus on not dying," he said, his lower lip trembling. 

"Y/N!" you heard Tanjiro yell again. Something was crawling it way towards you. 

Tanjiro's dirty face was streaked with tears, his red eyes shiny. "Don't die, he mumbled," Please don't die." 

His voice cut him off. 

"Just a few minutes, alright young L/N?" Rengoku said, worried," Don't die. It's an order. Didn't I say I wanted no one dying?"

"I know. . ." you mumbled," I'm glad I saved you."

"But you sacrificed yourself!" he yelled, making everyone jump. You were surprised to see a tear running down his face. 

"I wanted to save as many people as possible. I never failed before. And you. . . you're just a young girl-" His voice broke. 

The sky lightened. A green shade was steadily covering it, inviting the sun over. "Go to the woods, Akaza," you whispered. 

"I can't leave you!" he said.

"You'll die. I don't want a fried of mine to die." you raised an arm and wiped a few tears off his face. "Go. I'll see you soon." 

"Don't die," he said, standing up. "I need someone to talk you. I can't find someone like you  for a lifetime." He wiped his tears and sprinted away.

"You'll live," Rengoku tried to reassure you. 

"Sorry," you said, looking at Tanjiro's face," don't worry though. If I don't survive, say goodbye to Nezuko and Zenitsu, alright? And give the coat to Tomika-san. I still didn't say thank you to him." 

"You'll live!" Tanjiro shouted, gripping your hand," You have to! We didn't do so many things together!" 

"EXACTLY!" Inosuke said," We didn't collect acorns together M/N!" 

Tears were poking through his mask, and he dropped to his knees. "Here, Acorn," he fished for something in his pocket," Acorn."

He pushed the object into your palm. 

"Th. . .Thank you. . everyone," you smiled. 

Your hand dropped to the floor, and eyes fluttered closed. 

⌁•⌁

We saved Rengoku, but became a doughnut D: 

Anyways, hope you enjoyed the chapter, I know it's a bit short. 

I'll make it up, I probably make a filler chapter soon.  Have a nice day!  :)