T H I R T Y T W O

"Wait, so you still haven't slept together?" Maya says, as she carefully does my eyeshadow.

"With that chemistry, I would have thought it would have happened the second he broke it off with Gemma," Robert says, rummaging through my closet, looking for something up to his standards.

They're both helping me get ready for the party; To get ready to tell Joe how I feel about him. It feels like a lot of effort to go to, but they have been active participants in this thing with Joe since the beginning, so I kind of understand their excitement in watching our relationship grow.

"Okay, first of all. That would have been so disrespectful to Gemma. She doesn't deserve that," I point out.

Robert looks at me, waiting for me to finish.

"Did you have a second point?" Robert asks after a moment of silence.

I shake my head, much to Mayas annoyance.

"No, not really. I kind of thought we would have by now too," I say.

"It's kind of sweet," Maya pronounces.

"He wants everything to go so well for you guys. He's looking at the future," She tells me smiling.

"I think he's scared we don't have a future," I mumble.

"What does that mean?" Robert frowns, pulling out some clothing options and laying them out on my bed.

I sigh.

"It's just like... Things are great. Really. But, it feels like they could crumble at any moment. Like our relationship is built on a deck of cards, and the wrong move, even breathing slightly too hard, and it will come tumbling down," I explain.

Maya sets down the eyeshadow brush.

"Well, that doesn't sound too good," Maya says, sounding concerned.

I bite my lip.

"Maybe I'm over thinking it," I offer.

"Maybe when you two tell each other how you really feel, your relationship will feel more secure," Robert suggests.

I nod, taking that in.

"Maybe," I say softly.

Maya rummages through my makeup bag, before producing liquid eyeliner and handing it to me.

"It might be better if you do this part, I don't want to stab you in the eye," Maya laughs.

I laugh with her as I take the liner.

" I should get dressed first, so I don't mess it up," I say, looking over to Robert to see what he's decided.

Robert lifts up a black crop with spaghetti straps, and a midi length black sparkly skirt with a slit up the side.

"I forgot I had that skirt," I whisper.

"HOW did you forget? That skirt is hot, hot, hot. I'd wear that everyday," Maya muses. Her eyes growing bigger with excitement.

"I kind of bought it impulsively, and then felt too self conscious to ever wear it, so put it in the back of my closet," I explain.

Robert must sense my hesitation in wearing it now, and starts shaking his head.

"Charlee, you have to wear this. Please, at least try it on," Robert begs me, his eyes looking into mine seriously.

"Okay, I'll try it on," I agree nervously.

I take the clothes into my bathroom and put them on.

The skirt comes up high waisted, covering my belly button, so once I put the crop top on I'm not showing as much skin as I thought I'd be, but enough that it does look cute.