T H I R T Y F I V E

"Want to come to the movies with us today?" Robert asks over the phone.

I lean against the kitchen counter, picking up a blueberry out of my bowl.

"I know what you're doing," I tease him, popping the blueberry into my mouth.

"Ah hmmm, trying to spend time with my best friend, because my girlfriend keeps hogging her? Yeah, of course I am," Robert feigns ignorance.

I roll my eyes, entirely for my own benefit since he can't actually see me.

"Well, I guess you wouldn't have to fight over me if you lived in the same house," I muse.

"That's a good one actually, I should write that one down to use on Maya," Robert laughs.

I laugh along with him, playing with the blueberries in my bowl.

"What I meant, is that you're trying to make sure I'm not alone, because you think I need to be babysat," I accuse him.

Robert sighs immediately, and I relax my shoulders knowing I am right.

"You don't have to do that, I can look after myself you know. Besides, I'm actually going to go have lunch with Dacre, so you don't have to worry," I tell him.

"Dacre?" Robert asks, his voice slightly higher as though in shock.

"Yeah..." I respond.

I'm not sure what his problem is, it's pretty clear we're good friends.

"Like a date?" He asks me, and it clicks in my brain.

"No, not like a date. Oh my god. He's my friend, and he'll be leaving for Australia soon. I'm making the most of the time we have left," I explain to him, slightly defensive.

"Okay, okay. I was just worried about you using him as a rebound, and doing anything you'd regret," Robert tells me.

I scoff. I wouldn't use Dacre like that, and risk our friendship. Part of me wonders how much of this is concern for me and Dacre, and how much is jealousy from his old crush. But, that isn't fair of me.

"I wouldn't do that to him, and I'm definitely not ready to entertain any other type of relationship right now," I say.

I've finished my berries, and I get up to walk the bowl to the sink so I can rinse it.

"I know," He tells me.

"And, boys and girls can be friends," I remind him.

Robert sighs again.

"I know. I mean, Maya and I didn't do a great job of that. You and Joe didn't exactly ace it. But, you and I are going strong, so that's a plus," He says.

I laugh and shake my head. Ouch, but okay.

"Yeah, we're good," I tell him.

"I'm just looking out for you, Charlee. For awhile, I was the only one that did. It's hard for me to loosen up, and remember you've got a whole troop of people to do that now," Robert says gently.

"Thanks Robert," I say, leaning against the sink now, "I've gotta go get ready. You enjoy your date with Maya at the movies,"

Robert chuckles and gives me his goodbyes. I plug my phone into my charger, and go get dressed.

Dacre and I are just meeting for brunch, so I don't bother thinking too much about what to wear. I slip on some jeans and a David Bowie shirt before leaving.

*****

I smile at Dacre when I see him walk through the courtyard of the restaurant. I was worried he may have trouble finding me, but he spots me and walks over.