Chapter 2.11

"THIS IS WHY WE DON'T ENTRUST PLANS TO MUPPET BABIES"

"So my dad's alive and is locked on a prison world instead of dead like I was led to believe all this time?"

What a good way to start the day.

Learning your dad has been too close all along.

Josie and Lizzie sat in front of her, the Sandclock still on view but so far Kayla was doing a good job on ignoring it.

"That's what I wanted to talk to you about" Lizzie told her, sighing. "But you avoided the subject and it was never brought up"

"Oh, so it's my fault I didn't know?" Kayla gasped sarcastically, placing a hand to her chest.

"No, she's not saying that" Josie told her, giving her twin a look. "We are telling you this because, we have this idea of sending the Sandclock to a prison world but dad won't let us"

"Because of my dad being locked in one?" Kayla asked, "I understand and I agree"

The twins exchanged a look, surprised.

"But I thought-" Josie began.

"There's a reason why he's locked up" Kayla said, sighing. "But okay, I understand your point"

"That's why we were thinking about making another prison world" Lizzie told them. Kayla bit her lip and tried to suppress the memories. "I mean, we need a celestial event and there's one tonight. A meteor shower. It can work to make the ascendant work, right?"

"Also Bennett's blood, girls" Kayla added "And a lot of magic. The three of us, four because I'm sure Hope will help is not enough. And .... I really, really don't want anything to do with prison worlds"

"But why would you not-" Lizzie began.

Josie sucked in a deep breath in realization, smacking Lizzie in the stomach. "Kayla? Is that how-"

"My family tried to get rid of me?" Kayla asked bitterly. Lizzie closed her mouth in shock. The twins gave their cousin a sympathetic look. "I loathe prison worlds. So, please, don't get me involved in that. Do whatever, but don't ask me to help. Not with that"

~8~

Flashback - Two Years Ago

Kayla wasn't the only one at the school with a questionable reputation.

She barely had a month in and her name could only compete with this Alyssa Chang's girl. It got her curious. But not enough to seek her out.

But enough to catch her attention when one day she accidentally set a few library books in fire next to some girls who were laughing at Kayla for sitting alone.

Alyssa had watched it all with curiosity. Who didn't know about the new girl who got everyone call her psycho and a demon? Alyssa felt sympathetic about her. Took pity on her and that day she took a seat next to her, startling her.