Chapter 15

"I'LL TELL YOU A STORY"

Waking up at the school with no roommate to talk to was going to be hard for Kayla as she opened her eyes and stared at the ceiling.

Every morning, Penelope would be the one to wake her up, throw her uniform at her and work on her make up while Kayla took a shower.

This morning, there was no music playing on the room, no one humming the lyrics while applying mascara. Just silence.

Well, until there was a creak at the other side of the room.

Kayla frowned and rolled over on the bed, holding back a gasp as she saw a familiar brown haired head, sleeping on Penelope's bed. Warily, the siphoner stood, throwing the blankets away from her quietly, tiptoeing to the other bed, peering at whoever was sleeping in her ex-roommate's bed. Her eyes widened, stepping back, scratching the back of her neck, awkwardly when she saw who was it.

Josie.

Kayla nodded to herself, backing away, picking up the uniform from her nightstand, making her way to the bathroom, not wanting to be present when Josie woke up and engage in a weird conversation.

~8~

Once Kayla got out of the bathroom, Josie was no longer there, the bed made as if no one had slept in. Her shoulders fell, sighing softly, glancing to her nightstand to a photo of her and Penelope at Kayla's sixteen birthday that had been kept quiet and only Penelope, Hope and Alaric knew about. Penelope had given her a birthday muffin that morning where she demanded to get their picture taken. To be honest, she was glad she insisted for it as it was the only picture they had together.

A small smile played on her lips, looking at her reflection, fixing her hair, picking up her bag and leaving her room.

~8~

Class had gone by quick and Kayla found herself paying more attention than she usually did.

She left the classroom of the witch class with Hope, who seemed distracted.

"You alright?" Kayla asked, holding her books to her chest.

"Something's just wrong" Hope told her as they walked down the hallway. "Landon left the school and sent a message to Dr. Saltzman that doesn't make sense. He told him to say hi to Jed"

Kayla's eyebrows furrowed, "But they're not friends. Why would Landon ask that?"

"Exactly" Hope told her, "He must have known we'd know he's in trouble for that"