Chapter 5

'MALIVORE'

'MALIVORE'

Not even starting the morning, Alaric gathered another assembly at the grand hall. All the students were sitting at their respective seats, while Alaric stood at the podium in front of the room, with Emma the school counselor standing at his right.

"Given recent events, some students have expressed concern that I am not allowing you to have a say in the decisions that affect your future" Alaric began, glancing at his daughters who smiled shyly at him. "And I agree. If you are expected to abide by this school's policies, it's only fair that you have a voice in how those rules are made. So, I am forming an honor council. One vampire, one witch, and one werewolf—each elected by their peers, along with Emma, whose vote will represent the younger students" Students began murmuring between themselves, excited by the news "Now, I have to go off-campus. In the meantime, I expect you to make good decisions and to vote wisely. That's all. You're dismissed"

Alaric turned away, picking up a duffel bag sitting on a nearby chair before heading out to the front of the school.

Kayla and Hope stood, walking away from the grand hall, ignoring the chattering of the other students

"So, you're on Kirby duty today?" Kayla asked, laughter in her voice as Hope grumbled angrily about what Alaric was forcing her do. "Oh, I don't pity you"

"One more word, Rivers" Hope warned, taking a deep breath. Kayla made a zipping motion on her lips as if she was closing them, throwing away an invisible key, but there was amusement in her eyes. Hope shoved her aside, "Shut up"

Hope stormed away

Kayla shrugged at her back, raising her arms, widening her eyes as if asking 'What did I do?'

~8~

While Hope was busy doing some magical tests on Landon to figure out what he was, Kayla managed to stay at her room without anyone bothering her all morning as she studied for the incoming tests or she was unbothered until Penelope walked in

"Greetings, my darling psychopath" Penelope told her, smirking. Kayla lowered her pencil slowly, giving her a sarcastic look. "What are you doing here, locked up?"

"Studying" Kayla answered "What does it look like?"

Penelope chuckled in amusement "Wow. That's a first" She remarked, sitting in her bed, staring at her roommate who tried to ignore her. "Shouldn't you be making your campaign?"

Kayla let out a hollow, sarcastic chuckle "I'll pretend that you didn't say that"

Though Kayla didn't notice, Penelope relaxed at her words, no longer worried about her plans being ruined. While she wanted Josie to for once win something Lizzie wanted, she didn't want to harm her roommate, a genuine friend who always protected her heart every time she could. Josie.