Chapter 2.3

"YOU REMIND ME OF SOMEONE I USED TO KNOW"

I once thought having a clean slate was something good for someone like me. I mean, my father was a monster and a dick. People expected me to become like him just because I had his genes. People hated me because of my existence. Now, I literally don't exist. I thought it'd be great. I could start over.

But, was it really worth it?

Being alone?

The transition to the local high school, the place Kayla didn't find comforting was Hope's excuse to their new normal.

Hope wanted normalcy. - she wished she had it- and so they tried it. For a moment, the two girls were normal.

Kayla didn't dislike it. But, like all good things, they had to end at some point, knowing themselves.

~8~

"How original"

The words were a little sarcastic coming from the siphoner as she and her tribid best friend stared up at a mural.

Hope chuckled, tilting her head as if getting a better look at the mural "They could always improve their writing"

"Every year we suggest that" Kayla smirked, shaking her head. "They just can't spell 'Loser' correctly. Not even once"

Hope smiled.

A siren rang further ahead making both girls turn to the sound, seeing a police car parking close by.

Kayla raised her hands as in surrender, a playful smirk as she pointed at Hope. "She obviously did it, officer"

Hope elbowed her friend, still trying to understand since when the cold changed to sarcastic. She really wanted to think Malivore had nothing to do with that.

"This looks pretty self-explanatory" The sheriff walked out of the car, raising an eyebrow at both girls "But you want to give it a shot?"

"Um, toxic masculinity mixed with outdated sports pranks?" Hope told her.

Kayla snickered.

The police car's backseat window was pulled down, "There's no way neither Hope or Kayla did it" The supernatural girls looked toward Maya sitting down in the police car. Hope frowned in confusion as Kayla raised her eyebrows, silently whistling, impressed, "They're Timberwolves, not Stallions"

"Maya" Kayla called out amused, lowering her arms. "I knew I liked you for some reason"

Maya beamed as she climbed out of the car.

Hope, on the other hand wasn't as amused, frowning in slight concern as she glanced between the girl and the sheriff. "What happened?"

"Oh, don't worry" Maya reassured, walking closer, chuckling "She's my mom" She wasn't the only one hoping out of the car. Ethan also climbed out. "We don't really like to talk about it"