Chapter 2.15

It was the middle of the night

Kayla was pacing in the middle of a street, down the length of a car. Her breath was visible as she exhaled, hugging herself because of the cold breeze of the night. Her eyes kept glancing toward the trunk, then the road, seemingly nervous.

Footsteps sounded from behind her, whirling around, almost startled.

Hope had just arrived, looking confused. "Kay?"

Kayla sighed in relief. "It's just you"

Hope blinked. "You woke me up with a loud yell in our heads. I thought something happened to you" suddenly, she remembered she had stayed back with her dad. Immediately, she grabbed Kayla's chin, moving her head left to right, examining it. Kayla swatted her hands away, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, geez" Kayla murmured, annoyed. "If I was hurt you'd know"

Hope paused, sheepishly. "You're right. Forgot that" she crossed her arms, hugging herself. "Anyway, what are you doing in the middle of nowhere? I thought you came back home. Wait" she took a double look at the car, "Is this Dr. Saltzman's van?"

Hope looked back at her friend, questionably, squinting her eyes.

Kayla avoided her eyes, coughing once awkwardly. "Nooo" Hope tilted her head aside, raising her eyebrows, pointedly. Kayla kicked a pebble, grumbling under her breath. "Fine. It is"

Hope uncrossed her arms, scoffing incredulously. "Why do you have it?" Kayla didn't answer, turning around and walking toward the trunk. Hope followed, speechless just for a few seconds. "Okay, are you going to tell me what the hell is going-" she stopped talking abruptly at the sight that greeted her when Kayla opened the back of the van, stepping back, twiddling with her thumbs, sheepishly. "on?"

There, laying unconscious in a pile of limbs, both Alaric and Kai were dumped together in the back of the van.

Hope slowly turned to face her best friend, expecting an explanation.

"I panicked!" Kayla blurted out, slightly throwing her hands up. Hope slightly face palmed, looking away, incredulous and shocked. "I didn't... He... I couldn't-"

Hope turned to Kayla immediately when she heard her stutter and unable to form a sentence.

Kayla never stuttered like that.

"Kay?" Hope put her hands in her best friend's shoulders, squeezing reassuringly. "Take a deep breath. Everything is fine"

Though it really wasn't fine. The last thing she knew was that Alaric was going to kill Kai Parker once and for all. Only for that not to happen and instead he was unconscious with his nemesis thanks to the freaking out daughter of said nemesis.

She didn't want to admit it, but she was relieved Kai wasn't dead.

I mean, sure, he made her go through a hard dilemma that night but he was still her best friend's dad.