Chapter 3.7

"This Is What It Takes"

The party was still in motion, Alyssa had found MG and dragged him to dance with her after making sure Kayla would be okay on her own.

The siphoner had waved her off with a roll of her eyes.

Now, Kayla was simply sitting with her chin atop of her knees, hugging them close to her chest as she watched everyone enjoy the celebration.

Suddenly the music stopped when Lizzie loudly snapped to someone, "What the hell do you think you're doing?!"

Kayla sighed loudly in annoyance, dropping her knees to the ground with a thud. The action got everyone to look her way as she walked closer to her cousin and a somehow familiar but definitely unfamiliar girl.

"Better question" Kayla asked, crossing her arms. Hope turned to face her best friend and the look of distrust and not recognition in her eyes certainly made her heart ache. "Who are you?"

Kaleb stopped next to her as Lizzie surrounded the newcomer to stand next to them.

The cold eyes of Kayla reminded her of when she first met her. It hurt that look was directed her way; "It's a long story"

Lizzie and Kayla exchanged a look.

~8~

The super Squad (plus Kayla because she refused to be part of it) stood in Alaric's office where they called the man so they could all discuss the girl.

A girl Kayla felt so weird about. Like she has the feeling she's seen her before, though she knows she hasn't.

It was why she took the further wall away from the girl, arms crossed over her chest as she intently examined her from afar. She'd let the others take the lead.

Despite of now somewhat being friendlier with several people, she was still more of a loner anyway.

"This is all very confusing" Alaric told her after the girl explained everything.

Apparently they all knew her but forgot about her because she jumped into Malivore to save herself and Landon.

Was Kayla surprised? No.

Being forgotten seemed to be a trend here.

She was a big example out of that.

However, ask her why she thought it was a good idea to jump into Malivore in the first place, she didn't know.

"Because you're drunk" the girl, Hope replied to Alaric, "And I really need you to focus. This is a matter of life and death"

"First things first" Alaric told her, pointing at himself, "I'm only buzzed"

"Please" Kayla scoffed, drawing Alaric's attention. "I saw you dancing to Kaleb's rap earlier. First of all, you tend to ignore this generation music" Lizzie chuckled in amusement, under her hand that covered her mouth. Kayla turned to Hope, narrowing her eyes, "Secondly, you haven't told any of us why we should believe anything that you said, Hopey"

"Ugh, you remind me of your dad by calling me that" Hope murmured under her breath. Kayla frowned, surprised. Why did she hear that as if Hope spoke in normal volume? "It's Hope. Mikaelson, actually. Klaus's daughter"

"Vampires can't have babies" Lizzie spoke matter of factly, smugly as she looked at the girl, "Anyone else thinking that she's a monster?"

Josie raised her hand, staring warily at Hope.

Hope refrained from rolling her eyes, "I know why you'd think that, because I know that Malivore monsters exits" she explained, using her hands and her voice was a bit dramatic, "I know that the reason why you're celebrating is because you just defeated them" she turned to Lizzie. "I also know that you're a witch. An annoyed witch probably wondering why MG's off with Alyssa Chang instead of you"

Josie looked awkwardly at her twin while Lizzie gaped at the girl in disbelief, "Or psychic" she turned to her twin, whispering, "She's totally psychic"

Hope turned to Kaleb, "You're a vampire. I'm doubling down on drunk"

Kaleb blinked, stunned.

Kayla sighed.

Hope turned to Josie, "Also a witch"

Josie stammered, "Actually, I gave up my magic"

Hope groaned to herself, looking down, "That's gonna make this more difficult"

Alaric frowned at her, "Make what more difficult?"

Hope sighed, looking up, "Do you remember that spell that Josie did to get rid of the Oni?" she asked, looking at them expectantly, waving her hands briefly, "Which I know about, clearly"

Alaric stood from his desk, giving her a serious look, "Listen, we don't doubt what you know. We just doubt how you know it"

Hope hesitated, turning to Kayla. "The Lizzie and MG stuff I know about, through you"

Kayla frowned, pointing at herself questionably, "Me? I don't even know you to speak about my friends, dude"

Hope couldn't help the smile that grew in her lips, anyway, "Awe. You admitting to having friends is so cute" she cooed. If anything, Kayla's eyes turned colder her way. Now she get why Landon found her unsettling before. She hadn't had that look aimed her way at all, before. "Anyway. I read your mind. If you focus, probably you can read mine. We're connected through a spell you made when you first jumped to Malivore with me"

Kayla didn't remember that, "mhm. Prove it"

Hope shrugged, tilting her head back and forth, considering something, "It's already past midnight, ish. The spell we cast must have worn off already" she nodded to herself, taking one of her earrings. "Lift your right hand"

Confused but curious, Kayla raised the hand Hope instructed her to, huffing  "This is totally weird"

The twins and Alaric turned to look between the two girls curiously.

Hope smirked slightly, "This might sting"

With that, she stabbed the sharp end of her earring in her pointed finger. Kayla blinked at the slight sting, barely noticeable in her finger. However, she still looked to her hand to see a drop of blood trailing down from her pointed finger.

"What the hell?" Kayla blinked, glancing between her finger and Hope's, seeing identical injuries in their fingers that healed in seconds.

"You used your grimoire's spell that turns your blood into the one of your choosing" Hope explained, lowering her hand.

Kayla stared at her finger in surprise.

How does she know there's a spell like that one in her family grimoire?

Alaric looked even more serious, this the first time he's ever heard that Kayla had her family grimoire in her position with probably questionable spells all along.

It also explained a lot about that girl saying the truth. Kayla wouldn't usually socialize enough with people to open up about her family for them to know what they were like.

Slightly satisfied she could convince her reluctant best friend, Hope turned to Alaric, pursing her lips, slowly turning to Josie, if Alaric wasn't going to fully trust her, "Okay. I know Landon means a lot to you too, so, I promise I'm telling you the truth-"

"I believe you" Josie stepped forward, staring at Hope. Everyone turned to her, "And I can teach it to you if it's okay with my dad"

Alaric looked at Josie who stared back at him, determined

Kayla now looked at a hopeful Hope with curiosity.

If she was telling the truth, she really wanted to remember her then.