Chapter 3.2

GOODBYES SURE DO SUCK

It was difficult avoiding Hope for a long time but Kayla was managing.

The school was still a little surprised but relieved she was alive and Kayla was throughly amused - if not still a little wary - for some students reactions whenever Josie and herself were in the same room.

Hope was upset though, that despite everything, Kayla would still greet Josie even if she was the one to stab her to death yet she avoided her like the plague.

Neither Lizzie and MG could help her pinpoint Kayla to one place or entertain her enough for Hope to talk to her.

Kayla hadn't either talked to Landon, nor acknowledged his presence.

It was awkward for him. He didn't know what he did to deserve the chilly, ice cold shoulder. Not yet, anyway.

Hope had been forced to stop trying to win her best friend back when she found out what was going on with Rafael.

Said guy was doomed to death and now was pacing in an empty corner of the library where Kayla found him.

"You're carving a hole on the floor" Kayla told him, carrying a few books and looking like she was ready to leave, a backpack hanging loosely over her shoulder. "Chill out, wolfboy"

Rafael turned to face her as she shoved a red book with gold letters inside her back. He gulped a little, still fearful from his death sentence, "Moving reminds me I'm alive"

Kayla clicked her tongue, brushing a wild strand of hair that fell from her curly hair away from her face, "Death is overrated" Rafael gave her a look, nervous and scared. She realized how insensitive she sounded, briefly looking to the side as if she was expecting someone to scold her for it. "Right"

At the awkwardness from the girl, Rafael couldn't help but twitch his lips, his only thought at the moment was that he wasn't going to die without seeing any other emotion in Kayla's face. He had only ever seen blank expressions, sarcasm and hostility. This? This made her human in his eyes.

"They're trying to help" Rafael said, wriggling nervously his fingers and hands, "But they're looking for the impossible, aren't they?"

Kayla fell silent, looking away.

Rafael nodded to himself, already knowing that.

"You need a road trip" Kayla told him, turning to him. Rafael frowned. She lifted her hand, a key ring hanging around her pointer finger. "Clear your mind. Make your peace" her voice lowered, speaking quietly as she lowered her hand, "Say goodbyes to those important to you"

Rafael felt a lump on his throat but he didn't want to cry in front of anyone. "You're being uncharacteristically nice"

"Being unable to wake up and thinking you were going to die by sleeping tends to change your perspective about things and how to treat people in the same ish situation" Kayla replied, shrugging.