Chapter 6

'MOMBIE DEAREST'

'MOMBIE DEAREST'

When I was a child, all I ever wondered was why I was different from my siblings. Vanessa, Edward and Markus. I was the youngest but the only one who didn't have magic of her own. I knew there was something different in me though. Since I could remember, there has been memories of my family shouting at me, freaking out and looking at me with fear. I couldn't understand why the people who were supposed to show me unconditional love couldn't even look at me in the eyes. Why my mom felt ashamed and tried to keep me as far away from my siblings. I didn't understand that while she showed love, she also showed fear. You're not supposed to fear your children, right? It was then when I made it my mission to find out the truth and what I found, made my entire existence make sense. It changed me. It made me realize that it was no my fault but if my family was treating it that way, why shouldn't I embrace it? And so my reign of coldness began...

Kayla was with Dorian, discussing a lecture when they both heard a panicked Alaric screaming Dorian's name. "Dorian!"

Dorian gave her a quick look before running to Alaric's office. Kayla hesitated for a moment, glancing behind her, shaking her head and following Dorian.

~8~

"Woah"

Those were Kayla's first words as she entered Alaric's office, coming across something she didn't think she'd see.

A bloody bride.

And she looked very confused and frightened as she looked at Alaric with pleading eyes, her eyes darting between the two newcomers, nervously.

"Hopefully the groom didn't do it" Kayla spoke, unknowingly making Alaric tense even more by hearing the girl's voice as he looked between his niece and the bride. "That would have been very ironic"

The woman dressed as a bride took her eyes away from Alaric to rest them on the girl and chuckled, "It would have been" she joked still feeling nervous as she glanced at Alaric. "But, no. It was the brother, actually"

Kayla furrowed her eyebrows "Huh. What a dick"

"Kayla" Alaric told her, without taking his eyes away from the woman "Why don't you head to class?" Kayla opened her mouth to protest but Alaric spoke first before she could, "Oh, and on your way out put a spell on the door so no one can enter, please"

Kayla's frown deepened as she looked at the confused bride, "You're gonna miss their birthday because of this, aren't you?" Alaric didn't answer. Kayla huffed "At least go and say happy birthday to them, uncle Ric"

The woman's eyes snapped toward Alaric when the girl called him uncle, looking between them silently and confused.

Alaric closed his eyes briefly. Whenever Kayla called him uncle, it was because she either was mocking him or being serious. This was the latter.