22

Jungkook pov

My dad's voice whispered in my ear. Swallow your pride, or you'll regret it later.

I took a deep breath and sighed it out. "Look, I don't want to argue with you, Park." Everyone stared at me.

Taehyung dropped his pencil, and his jaw in shock.

Jimin narrowed his eyes and lowered his voice, seeming more worked up now. "What do you mean, you don't wanna argue with me?"

Dre laughed. "Look, boys, I know it seems like the apocalypse is upon us but the truth is, this guy's in love."

I shot Dre a look. "No, I'm not."

"In love?" Jimin repeated, blinking.

A hurt expression flashed across his face, but he quickly schooled it into sarcasm.

Dre held out a hand toward me. "Isn't it obvious? Look at him. He's off his game."

"No, I'm not."

"Off his game? I'll say." Jimin looked down at the floor.

"In love. Got yourself all snazzy and everything for this person, huh?" He noticed.

Dre grinned. "Awwww, don't be jealous, Park, he'll never forget what y'all had."

"Please. If I can claw my way out of this hell, I wanna do it. Be sure to thank them, whoever they are."

"They're taking one for the team. My condolences."

"I'm not in love," I said to the room at large.

"Yeah, so, he's a little different today but maybe that's good, right?"

Dre said, looking back and forth between Jimin and Taehyung.

"Sure. Maybe. Yeah." Jimin kicked at the carpet with his gray Chucks.

Why did he look so disappointed?

Before I had time to process that, he was bent back over his notebook.

I listened closely this time, as Jimin explained the ideal order to arrange slides. His sexy lips moved, and I did my best to track most of what he was saying. I still ended up hypnotized.

"I hate to ask, but what do you think about that?" His curious, intense eyes were on me again.

"Huh?" I asked, flabbergasted.

Jimin let his head drop. His forehead thunked onto his notebook.

"Is it just me, or did we just have a conversation about you paying attention?"

I gentled my voice as best as I could.

Calm this time, not mocking or condescending.

"I was paying attention." More to his lips than anything, but still. I folded my arms over my chest.

"I think it's a decent idea. I can work with it." Tae was really looking at me weird now.

Any kind of cooperation between the two of us was a miracle.

Unfortunately, Jimin wasn't buying it.

He chuckled. "You think you can work with it? I don't see you coming up with anything better."

"That's why I said I can work with it."

"Glad to see his highness is pleased with the peasant's work," he snarked.

The frustration built up again.

"I didn't-why do you-you're fucking exhausting, Jimin."

"And you're still a major league douche nozzle. And you know what else? You-"