25

Jimin pov

"Hey," a deep voice said right behind my shoulder. I must have jumped a mile, and Tae stepped bodily in front of me out of alpha-best-friend-reflex.

"Jeon? You scared the daylights out of me," I huffed, grasping my chest as I tried to slow my breathing.

He held up his hands in concession, taking a step back.

"The daylights?" He echoed in his flat tone, but I thought I saw the corner of his mouth twitch like he wanted to smile.

"Just what do you want, Bub?" I said, and Jungkook held out a mass of plastic.

I came out from behind my BFF-slash-bodyguard. Taehyung just kind of stood there in shock.

"Is that a bag of garbage?" I asked, curling my lip at it.

I could tell there was a rectangular box inside; it might be something good, but it didn't help Jungkook's cause that he "wrapped" it in a plain white Hefty bag.

"Just take it."

I sort of wanted to throw it in Jeon's-oh God, I was thinking of him in his first name now- horrible, sexy face, but curiosity killed the cat.

"You're not the boss of me," I said, but I snatched it and tucked it under my arm, glaring at Jungkook like he just handed me a bomb.

Heck, for all I knew, it was one.

"Don't sit on it or anything, you'll smash it."

"Explain why I would sit on a gift I just received in a garbage bag?" He didn't have a good comeback for that.

"It's a peace offering. You want it or not?"

I clutched the bag close to my chest. "As much as you owe me? No way, Jeon. I've already claimed it as mine."

"Whatever, jimin." Jungkook made a big show of rolling his doe eyes as he turned away.

"What the heck just happened?" Tae asked.

"Jeon gave me a bomb. Hope you took notes during the last Mission Impossible movie."

The bag made a whooshing sound as I unraveled it, pulling out the box inside.

It was thin paperboard material and white with red markings and a logo.

"Candy?" Tae said, eyes scrunched.

A big box of Kinder Buenos sat in my hands. Jungkook knows what candy I like? The stuff was cheap; my pallet was not what one would call refined.

Obviously, that wasn't the point.

Jungkook paid attention to what candy I liked.

"Chocolate in a garbage bag, huh?" Taehyung marveled.

"Guess so." It was the most romantic thing anyone had ever done for me.

There was zero chance I wasn't jerking off about this later.

"He's really going for the gold here. Think he's trying to weasel out of some group work?"

Maybe I was mistaken, but even tae looked doubtful that was Jungkook's motive.

Shit. I just told myself I wouldn't let my heart get fooled into thinking courtship. I literally just said that.

"He better not be." I couldn't let him warm my heart. Instead, I got angry.

"What exactly is this asshole trying to pull? I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. He's pranking me, that's gotta be it. Some of his frat buddies put him up to it. Tame the shrew, you know?"

"There's probably like, a thousand dollars in it for him. He wants to make me think of him as a friend, then invite me to the biggest ALPHA party of the year."

"He's gonna get me onstage and say he won the bet then dump a bucket of blood on me Carrie-style."

"I don't think that's it, Jimin."

"What else could it be?" I squeaked, shaking the bag in desperation.

"Tae, you have to have all the answers, and you have to provide them right now!"

Please tell me you think Jungkook's courting me. But for heaven's sake, please tell me this is not him courting me. Either way I'm gonna die.

"Maybe he's really turning over a new leaf. Maybe just go with it and enjoy dessert?" He held a hand out.

"You're no help at all, you know that?"

I griped as I slapped a handful of candy bars into his palm.

As I drove, the headache came back, along with a rush of omega hormones.

All thanks to that alpha and his stupid garbage bag candy.

If I was being honest with myself, I wouldn't just want to call a truce with Jeon Jungkook.

I wouldn't want to be just friends.

The few moments I didn't hate the man's guts, I wanted to hold his hand, kiss him tenderly, fuck him passionately.

I couldn't blame it on my stupid hormones, either.

The truth was, if I stopped hating Jeon Jungkook I would fall in love with him. Maybe I already was.

Tae hopped out of my car and closed the door. "You headed home man?"

"Yup, going straight there now. Do not pass go, all that good stuff."

That was the original plan with the headache and nausea building up, but I couldn't let this go any further.

I turned the corner and headed right back to campus, eventually ending up on the asphalt lot right next to SKU's baseball diamond.

Jungkook was close, I could scent him. Boy, did that alpha have a scent.

Pure musk, enough to make a man want to get pregnant. Holy shit.

The door opened to a black Tesla he should not be able to afford at his age and out he stepped, seemingly in slow motion.

The stoic expression, the black beard and green doe eyes, his eyebrows.

His SKU baseball uniform was fitting right and watching him got me hot.

The focus in his doe eyes, the way the uniform stretched across his broad, heavy chest, that round baseball ass in those pants...

I was panting and it wasn't from all the direct sunlight. As he walked past my car, cleats clicking on the asphalt, I slid in front of him and stopped him with a hand to his chest.

It was a nice chest. Hard, sweaty, pure alpha.

"Jimin," he breathed.

Holy mother, there's no way he would not sound like that saying my name during an intense round of heat sex.

We stared at each other for a tight moment and I could swear...

Was he happy to see me?

There was a slight change in his scent...more receptivity hormones?

And as stoic as he was, I was learning to speak his eyebrow language.

They were slightly relaxed, a little bit raised; surprise, affection.

____________________________________________