41

Jungkook pov

We soaked up the silence, and the only real sound was our occasional sighs. I breathed in Jimin's scent.

He was calmer now, not tinged with the acrid tang of anger and fear, but his scent was different than ever before.

I didn't want to get Jimin revved up again, especially since he'd been so sensitive lately, but the thing with Tristan had its teeth in me and would not let go.

"Baby."

"Hmm?" He rested his chin on my chest and looked at me.

"I think he can tell your scent is switching."

Jimin went pale. "You think who can tell?" He said in a small voice.

I gave him a look. "Jimin."

"Yeah, okay, obviously he knows, which is creepy and gross and disgusting."

Jimin shuddered and I held him tighter.

"Listen-"

"Don't." Jimin's eyes were on mine, and they blazed like fire.

I pushed through, knowing he was going to hate me, but it was time.

"I want you to come off the suppressants. Let me take care of you. We can do this the right way."

Jimin sat up, out of my arms, and scooted to the other side of the couch.

I sat up, too, already feeling some thing between us breaking down.

"I figured out you were an omega. My family knows. Our friends know, strangers know, and regular assholes like Tristan are starting to know. Instead of hiding, why don't we face your change head-on? You're already coming off Betatrix anyway."

"I'm stabilizing my dose, not coming off," he snapped.

I held my hands out, pleading with him. "Baby, hear me out. Once you're an omega again publicly, people will treat you with more kindness, more courtesy."

"The good ones, at least. I'll be on guard for the bad ones. I can make my claim on you clear. Anybody who looks at you wrong answers to me."

Jimin immediately stiffened, his eyes glazing, pupils running back and forth. Flashbacks?

"If it's clear I'm an omega," he started, his voice low and simmering with anger.

"I'll be looked at as vulnerable, breakable. Somebody who needs to be babied and treated with kid gloves."

"Somebody weak. Somebody to be preyed on."

"Babe, I know it's hard for you to face the world as an omega again, but I'll be with you."

"That's the problem Jungkook. It's not about you being around to protect me. You can't be with me all the time, any way.It's that I have to live in this body, have to live this life. I always have to look over my shoulder. It'd be possible to get-" he gulped.

"pregnant. I have to go into heat." A bitch in heat, Tristan said. I regretted not killing him. Jimin paused, mouth slightly open, thinking.

"I haven't been in heat since...I can't remember the last time I was in heat. Then alphas will smell me..."

He stood up straight off the couch like it was electrocuting him.

His eyes were wide and panicked, and his breaths short and fast. "I can't. I can't do it, alpha. Don't ask me to."

I jumped up, too, following him in case he had a panic attack but still arguing my case.

"Baby, it's time. We've known for a long time these pills aren't healthy. Changing the chemistry of your entire body for so long isn't healthy. I just want you to be alright. I want you to be you." Jimin wheeled on me.