Only Pretend. 1/9

your not so typical arranged marriage plot where north and south korea are in a war, and jeon jungkook is the son of an esteemed military general. as conflict continues to escalate between the nations, jeon jungkook is sent to australia, for an arranged marriage with his fathers friends daughter, knowing that citizenship in korea will be too dangerous, should the war be lost. park chaeyoung is an ordinary girl, but surprising, accepts the conditional marriage after being cheated on by her 5 year long relationship with her ex. even in the midst of pain, will the pair find love? ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Park Chaeyoung doesn't know why she feels nervous as she stands beside her mother and father in the airport, waiting for the plane to touch down. The severity of her decision only dawns on her when her parents tell her that they'd proud of her—the first they'd ever said so to her in the twenty-two years of her life. It was a big decision, and one that she made purely because she was heartbroken and not thinking straight. Sure, she was a little shock when her parents showed up in her studio apartment unannounced, only to have an hour long discussion about the tense situation happening between the north and the south.

"When we immigrated to Australia, it was a lot to do with the help of your father's friend Jeon Doyoon. He's a top military general in the country, and used his connections to help us with our documents and even gave us some money to start our life here," her mother had explained before looking to her husband, "... he's fighting in the war, his wife died two years ago so it's just him and his son."

"He doesn't want to lose his son," her father chimed in, "... you don't have to at all, Chaeyoung. But he thinks it's safer for him to be in Australia, far from Korea—in case he's targeted. We were thinking that you two could pretend to get married, and of course you're free to divorce as soon as his citizenship is changed. It wouldn't be all bad—he'll pay for everything while you're "married" and you'll probably move to a two bedroom apartment too. His father has prepared all the finance and things."

At the time, her heart felt numb after ending a five year old relationship with her high school sweetheart, and the last thing on her mind was the concept of love.

"Look, I know this sounds crazy but—their family had always been good to us, and well—his son is innocent in all of this, the war is very cruel," her mother explained, "... we're not forcing you, but we hope you'll consider it."

"Okay," she responded without thinking, "... so when will we start?"

Because Park Chaeyoung is not thinking she'll fall in love.

She simply thinks that in her life, she hopes she can do one good thing at least and helping him sounds like it won't harm anyone.

But now, Park Chaeyoung has a sense of cold feet, waiting in pure silence with her parents not because she didn't want to help out, but she realises that she'll be living her life with a complete stranger she knows nothing about!

After over an hour of waiting, she lays her eyes on the most gorgeous man she'd ever seen in her entire life, one that likely came straight from a movie.

Her parents wave their hands and she watches as his eyes light up, smiling at them. He bows to them fully, thanking them for their help before turning to her. He hands them a bag full of Korean snacks and goodies, making small talk about how there was a delay because customs had a lot of questions and how his father asked to send his regards to them. According to him, he almost didn't recognise them because they looked so much younger than the photos his father showed him.

"Jeon Jungkook," he introduces himself to her, "... you're Park Chaeyoung, right? Thank you for everything."

She wonders why, her heart feels like it's fluttering the same way it did, 5 years ago with her first love.