Only Pretend. 8/9

Lalisa Manoban hates the idea of him.

When Park Chaeyoung first informed her that she'd be getting married to a stranger, she laughed out loud, thinking that it was a joke.

She's the one who knows her best friend best and knows that while the young blonde was traumatised from her past love with Kim Taehyung, she also knows that behind the cold and calm exterior that she's a sensitive soul at heart. Lalisa Manoban knows that at marriage is not an easy thing, even if it's just signing a document in the presence of officials hence she is concerned, knowing how easily her best friend has given it away.

Therefore, she's decided that she hates Jeon Jungkook.

In fact, Lalisa Manoban has no intention of meeting the creep who's forced her hand in marriage, but when her best friend invites her over amid lessening lockdown rules, she can't help but say yes.

Firstly—she didn't want Park Chaeyoung to be trapped with him alone forever.

Secondly—she loves Park Chaeyoung more than any man can and misses her a lot.

Thirdly—her boyfriend Jung Hoseok, a Korean history and literature professor has a journal to write, and really wouldn't mind to have a chance to discuss with the son of the high ranking South-Korea military general.

Damn you Jeon Jungkook!

But Lalisa Manoban is genuinely surprised to be greeted by the most handsome Korean man she'd ever met in her life (aside of Jung Hoseok of course!) who's smile was alluring enough to melt any heart. She can't help but analyse him from head to toe—messy long hair, a dress shirt that was unbuttoned revealing parts of his chest and formal dress pants. He welcomes them in instantly, offering them home slippers and a glass of red wine.

"Chaeyoung is still getting ready, you must be Lisa right? And Hoseok?" He reconfirms.

The three make small talk in the living room for a moment, before Park Chaeyoung finally emerges wearing a white summer dress.

Lalisa Manoban squeals in excitement, getting up to hug her. The two girls rush off to the kitchen, to help with the salad while the men talk a little bit about the upcoming journal.

"Lisa, thank you for coming," Park Chaeyoung wears the cutest pout she'd ever seen, "... it's hard right? Lockdown?"

"You didn't tell me that your husband is the most gorgeous man in the world, he literally looks like he came out from a drama, Chaeng!"

Park Chaeyoung giggles and she watches as her cheeks flush a bright red, similar to the way they did back when she was dating Kim Taehyung previously.

"So do you approve of the marriage now that you know that he's handsome?" She teases, "... he's really great, he'll be cooking the steak for us today."

"I didn't say that," Lalisa Manoban warns, "... you know I still don't like the idea of you getting married if its not out of love but—I guess it's not as bad as I first thought."

The girls start preparing for a simple and fresh salad before she sees a man approaching, his hand reaching for Park Chaeyoung's shoulder.

"What are you guys doing in my kitchen?" His jokingly taunts, "... I thought I could smell fire, don't burn it down."

"Our kitchen, what's yours is ours remember?" Park Chaeyoung turns with a mischevious smile.

Was her friend flirting? Lalisa Manoban cannot believe her eyes.

"True, you got me there," he chuckles before turning to acknowledge the other woman, "... Hoseok invited us over to your apartment sometime next week, he wants to interview me more in depth, is it okay if Chaeyoung and I visit sometime?"

Lalisa Manoban is surprised.

She didn't think her boyfriend could be won over so easily.

"Of course, Chaeng knows our apartment like the back of her hand, it's her second home," she informs him.

He nods.

"Anyway ladies, thank you for your help, why don't you guys refill your drinks and sit down on the couch? Hoseok and I will start on the steaks," he suggests smiling at them.

Lalisa Manoban can't help but notice how happy her friend seemed to be.

Even happier than when she was with Kim Taehyung.

The girls eventually bring their glasses to the living room, and Lalisa Manoban can't help but notice how nice it was.

"An upgrade from your old studio," she comments.

Park Chaeyoung nods, "... it's really nice. I actually bumped into Taehyung the other day—it's a long story, but apparently he'd come to my studio to speak to me after I moved."

"He did?" She questions, "... and are you okay?"

She nods, "... actually I've completely moved on from him. I've been thinking about it a lot—but I think I like Jungkook."

"Are you going to tell him how you feel?" She questions him.

"I want to, if you approve of him. That's partly why I invited you tonight," Park Chaeyoung informs her.

"Does he make you happy?" Lalisa Manoban asks.

She nods.

"Does he make you feel safe?"

Park Chaeyoung nods.

"Then that's all that matters."

-

When the couple leaves, Jeon Jungkook heads straight to the kitchen to do the dishes.

She can't help but think that he was a perfect man.

"Lisa loves you," she informs him, "... did you have fun though?"

Jeon Jungkook nods, "... it's comforting knowing that you have such great friends, and Hoseok is a great guy too."

"Let me do the dishes tonight, you've done enough," she offers only for him to hold his hand out, stopping her.

"It's fine, I've got it. Hoseok asked me whether dad can come in for a special lecture for his students some day, if the war ends," he informs her.

"And what did you say?"

"Hopefully the war ends sooner rather than later," he responds.

She hopes so too.

"Jungkook," she takes a deep breath as he finishes up, drying his hands with the towel as he turns to look at her.

She knows it's now or never.

"We've gotten quite close in the last few months," she tells him, "... and when I accepted this marriage I didn't expect for things to go this way, but—I think I like you."

Her eyes watch as he freezes, shocked by her words.

A minute passes and not a word is said.

"Please say something," she tells him embarrassed.

"Chaeyoung, I'm sorry. You're a great woman, in fact—you're perfect. But I can't do this, it's not right."