13 ★ The Man With Two Faces

࿔₊°༺★༻࿔₊°

HARRY WOULD HAVE screamed, but he couldn't make a sound. Crystal couldn't believe her eyes. Where there should have been a back to Quirrell's head, there was a face, the most terrible face Harry and Crystal had ever seen. It was chalk white with glaring red eyes and slits for nostrils, like a snake.

"Harry Potter..." it whispered. "and Crystal Calisto..."

Harry tried to take a step backward but his legs wouldn't move.

"See what I have become?" the face said. "Mere shadow and vapor... I have form only when I can share another's body... but there have always been those willing to let me into their hearts and minds.... Unicorn blood has strengthened me, these past weeks... you saw faithful Quirrell drinking it for me in the forest... and once I have the Elixir of Life, I will be able to create a body of my own.... Now... why don't you give me that Stone in your pocket?"

So he knew. The feeling suddenly surged back into Harry's legs. He stumbled backward where Crystal stood.

"Don't be a fool," snarled the face. "Better save your own life and the girl's and join me... or you'll meet the same end as her foolish mother who denied me.... She died begging me for mercy..."

"LIAR!" Crystal shouted suddenly.

Quirrell was walking backward at them, so that Voldemort could still see them. The evil face was now smiling.

"How touching..." it hissed. "I always value bravery... Yes, girl, your mother was brave... and powerful witch... but then... in the end I still killed her; the boy's father put up a courageous fight... they should all have died that night too... your mothers were trying to protect you both... Now give me the Stone, unless you want her mother to have died in vain."

"You've lost your mind or rather you're stupid if you think you'll have whatever you want," Crystal jeered, "Think of the state you're in. You should beg for the stone at my feet but look at you... A bodiless shadow, just need some light to make it vanish."

Harry didn't know from where Crystal always got all the courage to speak her mind but it was not the place to use it. He was scared out of his wits what would they do to her.

Crystal freed herself from the ropes, took Harry's wrist and they sprang toward the flame door, but Voldemort screamed "SEIZE THEM!" and the next second, Harry felt Quirrell's hand close on his other arm.

At once, a needle-sharp pain seared across Harry's scar; his head felt as though it was about to split in two; he yelled, struggling with all his might, and to his surprise, Quirrell let go of him.

The pain in his head lessened -- he looked around wildly to see where Quirrell had gone, and saw him hunched in pain, looking at his fingers -- they were blistering before his eyes.

"Quick, Harry, run!" Crystal pulled him with her as he suffered with the pain in his head.

"Seize them! SEIZE THEM!" shrieked Voldemort again, and Quirrell lunged, knocking Harry clean off his feet' landing on top of him, both hands around Harry's neck -- Harry's scar was almost blinding him with pain, yet he could see Quirrell howling in agony. Crystal kicked him hard enough to throw him off of Harry.

"Master, I cannot hold him -- my hands -- my hands!"

"Harry! Just a try a little! Get out I'll hold him back until then!" Crystal shouted at Harry as she grabbed her wand from the floor and fired a spell on Quirrell throwing him back. She ran to him as he layed limp on the ground and grabbed his collar.

"No! I can't leave you here alone! We'll go together!"

"Harry! We've to protect the stone you have! Go! Run! I'll try to stall some time! Run!"