31 ✦ 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝐸𝑛𝑑 𝑂𝑓 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑃𝑒𝑎𝑐𝑒

𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊

After Ginny and the Weasleys were sent to the hospital wing, Dumbledore stopped Harry, Ron, and Crystal.

“I seem to remember telling you three that I would have to expel you if you broke any more school rules,” said Dumbledore.

"But it'll be the school's loss if you expel such brilliant students like us, sir," said Crystal sincerely.

There was a moment of silence as they all looked at her. Harry blinked a few times blankly and thought she actually said it. Ron opened his mouth in horror but he became even more horrified when he heard Dumbledore chuckle.

"It certainly will be," Dumbledore went on, smiling. “You three will receive Special Awards for Services to the School and — let me see — yes, I think two hundred points apiece for Gryffindor.”

Ron went as brightly pink as Lockhart’s valentine flowers and closed his mouth again. Crystal held a small smile.

“But one of us seems to be keeping mightily quiet about his part in this dangerous adventure,” Dumbledore added. “Why so modest, Gilderoy?”

Harry gave a start. He had completely forgotten about Lockhart. He turned and saw that Lockhart was standing in a corner of the room, still wearing his vague smile.

When Dumbledore addressed him, Lockhart looked over his shoulder to see who he was talking to.

“Professor Dumbledore,” Ron said quickly, “there was an accident down in the Chamber of Secrets. Professor Lockhart—”

“Am I a professor?” said Lockhart in mild surprise. “Goodness. I expect I was hopeless, was I?”

“He tried to do a Memory Charm and the wand backfired,” Ron explained quietly to Dumbledore.

“Dear me,” said Dumbledore, shaking his head, his long silver mustache quivering. “Impaled upon your own sword, Gilderoy!”

“Sword?” said Lockhart dimly. “Haven’t got a sword. That girl has, though.” He pointed at Crystal. “She’ll lend you one.”

“Would you mind taking Professor Lockhart up to the infirmary, too?” Dumbledore said to Ron. “I’d like a few more words with Crystal and Harry . . .”

Lockhart ambled out. Ron cast a curious look back at Dumbledore, Harry and Crystal as he closed the door.

Dumbledore crossed to one of the chairs by the fire.

“Sit down, Harry,” he said, and Harry sat, feeling unaccountably nervous. Crystal was already sitting.

“First of all, Crystal, and Harry, I want to thank you both,” said Dumbledore, eyes twinkling again. “You both must have shown me real loyalty down in the Chamber. Nothing but that could have called Fawkes to you.”

He stroked the phoenix, which had fluttered down onto his knee. Harry grinned awkwardly as Dumbledore watched him.

“And so you both met Tom Riddle,” said Dumbledore thoughtfully. “I imagine he was most interested in you both . . .”

Suddenly, something that was nagging at Harry came tumbling out of his mouth.

“Professor Dumbledore . . . Riddle said we're like him. Strange likenesses, he said. . . .”

“Did he, now?” said Dumbledore, looking thoughtfully at Harry from under his thick silver eyebrows. “And what do you think, Harry?”

“I don’t think I’m like him!” said Harry, more loudly than he’d intended. “I mean, I’m — I’m in Gryffindor, I’m . . .”