54 ✥ 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙼𝚊𝚛𝚊𝚞𝚍𝚎𝚛𝚜

࿔₊° ࿔₊° ࿔₊°
THEN WHY GO INTO THE FOREST IN THE FIRST PLACE, YOU DIMWITS!

࿔₊° ࿔₊° ࿔₊°

𝕬FTER 𝕳ARRY 𝕮ONVINCED everyone to not kill Peter, they were on their way out of the Shrieking Shack in a strange group than one would usually see.

Crookshanks led the way down the stairs; Lupin, Pettigrew, and Ron went next, looking like entrants in a six-legged race.

Next came Professor Snape, drifting creepily along, his toes hitting each stair as they descended, held up by his own wand, which was being pointed at him by Sirius then Hermione and Harry. As for Harry's dad and Crystal. . . The situation was a bit-

"Uncle James," Crystal said looking up at James. "Can you please put me down?"

"For you to faint again?" James said adjusting his grip on her. Crystal was being carried in his arms and she was itching to walk on her own.

"Faint? I was just a bit dizzy and nothing happened!" Crystal defended, "Harry! Say something!"

"Just be silent," Harry said.

"Crysie, stay still, you're already losing a lot of blood," James said gently.

"Why do you guys treat me like a kid?" She mumbled, "I don't see Ron or Harry being carried out-"

"I'm heavy, Crysie," Ron said groaning.

"Well, you're a kid because you didn't understand that Pastor joke and I'm not as badly injured as you," Harry chuckled sardonically, "Just do us a favour and stay still,"

"How dare yo-" Crystal started but then looked up at James, "Did you hear how your son talks to me, Uncle James?"

"If this is the way you talk to girls you won't ever find yourself a wife, little Potter," James simply stated.

"Listen to your dad, Harry." Sirius's voice came from ahead, "He is the living example of the quote 'Failure is the path to success.'"

"Wow, are you guys hanging up against me?" Harry scoffed when he saw Crystal hide a sneaky smile as she leaned the side of her head on James's shoulder looking down at him. That little snitch! He cursed in his mind.

"I've taught you to be a gentleman to girls, Harry," James said intently, "Be nice to Crysie, you know, son, for your own future, may be you understand?"

"I don't and I won't," Harry said flatly leaving behind them to join Black, who was still making Snape drift along ahead of them; he kept bumping his lolling head on the low ceiling. Harry had the impression Black was making no effort to prevent this.

Crookshanks was still in the lead. Getting back into the tunnel was difficult. Lupin, Pettigrew, and Ron had to turn sideways to manage it; Lupin still had Pettigrew covered with his wand. Harry could see them edging awkwardly along the tunnel in a single line.

"Sorry, sweetie, if he bullies you again, just write to me, okay? I'll take care of him," James said looking down at her delicate frame. Crystal nodded innocently taking advantage of the opportunity.

They did not speak again until they had reached the end of the tunnel. Crookshanks darted up first; he had evidently pressed his paw to the knot on the trunk because Lupin, Pettigrew, and Ron clambered upward without any sound of savaging branches.

Black saw Snape up through the hole, then stood back for Harry and Hermione to pass and then Crystal and James. At last, all of them were out.

The grounds were very dark now; the only light came from the distant windows of the castle. Without a word, they set off. Pettigrew was still wheezing and occasionally whimpering.