28 ✦ 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑀𝑎𝑛-𝑒𝑎𝑡𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑆𝑝𝑖𝑑𝑒𝑟𝑠

𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊

"Aragog!" it called. "Aragog!"

And from the middle of the misty, domed web, a spider the size of a small elephant emerged, very slowly. There was gray in the black of his body and legs, and each of the eyes on his ugly, pincered head was milky white. He was blind.

Crystal was a wreck inside but she tried to keep her mind sane at the moment. The display of giant spiders started a war between her brain and heart inside her. The brain told her to stay and get as much information now that she had come this far, the heart was drumming in fear forcing the body to shut down, while a third party, the mediator of the war, the adrenaline running in her veins, advised her not be an idiot and run away.

This was a do-or-die and Crystal as usual in most cases always listened to her brain. She swallowed thickly and thought about how to take lead to control the flow of conversation if they were about to talk 'civilly'. But first, talk as calmly as she could.

"What is it?" the spider namely Aragog said, clicking his pincers rapidly.

"Men," clicked the spider who had caught Harry. "and woman."

"Is it Hagrid? Why is a woman with him?" said Aragog, moving closer, his eight milky eyes wandering vaguely.

"Strangers," clicked the spider who had brought Ron.

"Kill them," clicked Aragog fretfully. "I was sleeping . . ."

"Aragog, we're Hagrid's friends," Crystal said aloud taking the opportunity, it was now or never. Her heartbeat seemed to slow down to almost normal as the frequency of thoughts in her brain increased.

Click, click, click went the pincers of the spiders all around the hollow. Aragog paused.

Harry's heart seemed to have left his chest and pounding in his throat. Ron was gripping his arm as Crystal stood in front of them crossed arm, with confidence, a fake one. He knew how much effort she was putting to even stand let alone speak.

"Hagrid has never sent people into our hollow before," he said slowly.

"Yes, but Hagrid's in trouble now," said Crystal. "That's why we've come here."

"In trouble?" said the aged spider and Harry was closely listening and thought he heard concern beneath the clicking pincers. "But why has he sent you?"

Harry thought of getting to his feet but decided against it; he didn't think his legs would support him. He looked up at the back of the girl towering in front of them, even though her fears could surface to the point she that could end up in the hospital, Crystal stood in front of them talking to the giant spiders keeping her calm.

He looked down at her hands behind her which were trembling opposite to the demeanor she was presenting. He felt a little embarrassed when he mocked her earlier for Chickening out.

Harry realized how strong-minded and iron-willed, Crystal was. She would do anything to get what she wants even if it cost a huge toll on her, she wouldn't care.

Finding the courage in himself, Harry stood by Crystal's side in support of her. He placed his hand on top of hers and squeezed it gently. Crystal blankly glanced at him for a moment, she didn't understand Harry's goodwill for her in the sweet gesture as she couldn't think of anything else but keep every bit of herself to focus on keeping her calm and talk.

"They think, up at the school, that Hagrid's been setting a --- a --- something on students. They've taken him to Azkaban." Harry said shakily.

Aragog clicked his pincers furiously, and all around the hollow the sound was echoed by the crowd of spiders; it was like applause, except applause didn't usually make Harry feel sick with fear. Crystal took in a heavy breath again.