Twelve

Diana watched with saddened eyes as her business friend Kehlani kissed her husband, Sebastian, and placed her hand on her growing stomach

Diana watched with saddened eyes as her business friend Kehlani kissed her husband, Sebastian, and placed her hand on her growing stomach. Today, was their baby shower and the entire DA's office was here to celebrate.

Kehlani was a beautiful Nigerian woman with rich melanated skin who wore her afro every day. For her baby shower, An orange satin dress clung to her body and traveled down to the floor. Even though the dress was a little loose, her curves and baby bump were still evident.

Diana always looked up to her friend because she had the life she wanted. She didn't want to admit it but she was jealous of Kehlani's and Sebastian's marriage. They were all over each other every second of every day. She tried not to compare herself to the beauty but it was hard when Kehlani married someone who truly loved her, traveled the world with him, and then came back pregnant.

Something that Diana always wanted for herself. Sure, she was married but Kenneth didn't want any kids, so there went her dream.

"Alright, everyone gather around!" Kehlani's mother, Abimbola demanded, grabbing the attention of the party. Soon, everyone watched as the future parents held up two balloons, which were both brown– a hard color to see through.

"You ready?" Kehlani asked as Sebastian gave her temple a gentle kiss. "Always,"

People began cheering as they popped the balloon, blue dust falling to the floor. "It's a boy!" They all yelled, running to the happy couple.

Diana smiled to herself, clapping gently while watching as Sebastian lifted his wife, and spun her around. There was nothing but pure happiness in their eyes, something that the blonde yearned for.

"Hey, you alright?" Cindy, Diana's assistant asked, standing next to her, her eyes looking over the buildings of Manhattan. They stood over a rooftop bar that had been transitioned into the venue. "Oh, I'm sorry. I don't mean to—,"

"No, it's okay. Something is up. Do you want to talk about it?" The younger woman asked, a cool zephyr brushing across her skin.

Diana played with her fingers, taking a deep breath. A few seconds passed before she opened her mouth. "I was pregnant once,"

Cindy frowned in confusion, gesturing for her to continue. "But my husband didn't want kids so he made me get an abortion,"

"You're kidding?" The assistant asked, her eyes widening as she placed her hand over her mouth. "Is that what you wanted?"

"Of course not. I've always wanted to get married and have kids, I wanted the whole package. It broke me because I never got to meet my first child," She whispered to Cindy, who pulled her in for a hug.  They stayed like that for a moment, it was nice having someone comfort the blonde. She had been alone in the marriage. Miserable, powerless, and alone.