Twenty Five

"Happy Birthday!" Diana looked up from her laptop, connecting eyes with her mother, Annabel who knocked on her office door

"Happy Birthday!" Diana looked up from her laptop, connecting eyes with her mother, Annabel who knocked on her office door. She gasped, pulling the older woman for a hug and releasing a much-needed sigh. "Mom, what are you doing here?"

"It's your birthday Diana, I had to fly down. I can't believe my baby is 29. It seems like just yesterday you were born,"

The blonde smiled, opening her mini fridge.

"So how are you celebrating?" Annabel asked, accepting the bottle of water from her daughter as the pair sat down on the couch. Diana scrunched her nose up, looking around her office and shrugging. "None of my friends have reached out and Reid is busy with work. My assistant, Cindy has offered to take me for dinner but I don't know,"

"That's it? I mean that sounds a bit boring, don't you think,"

"It is a work day, Mom and I have been feeling a little sick the last few days—," She stopped mid-sentence running towards the trash can and throwing up last night's dinner. Annabel simply nodded to herself, a sense of excitement flashing through her orbs.

Diana felt a blush cover her cheeks while she grabbed a napkin and cleaned her lips. "I'm sorry, I don't know what's wrong with me. I'll call the Janitor to empty the trash before it starts to smell,"

The Defense Attorney smiled awkwardly, picking up her phone and dialing a number. "Hey Marcus, it's Diana. Would you mind emptying the trash from my office? I spilled a strawberry smoothie... Thank you," She ended the phone call and ran her hands through her hair. She grabbed mints from her bag and threw them into her mouth to clear her breath.

"How far along are you?"

"About an hour. I mean I only just got to the office so I haven't really looked through the files thoroughly—,"

"I'm not talking about work. I'm talking about your pregnancy," Annabel asked, standing up from the couch and walking over to her desk.

"Pregnancy? You think I'm pregnant?" She asked before her eyes widened and she froze. "I mean I have been feeling the dizziness, the panic attacks, the morning sickness," Diana felt her nerves begin to dance. If she was truly pregnant, that would be the best birthday gift in the world.

"Honey, how did you not know?" The mother asked as her eyes narrowed, highlighting her wrinkles. "With Kenneth's death, the DA inauguration next month, and everyone breathing down my neck, I've just been so busy. I-,"

"Is this what you and Reid want?"

"Of course but I just wish he would call me," She sighed and Annabel moved a strand of hair out of her daughter's face. The Janitor walked into Diana's office, emptying the trash while he waved at the blonde. She granted him a small smile, waiting for him to leave.

"Alright, Miss Diana. All clear,"

"Thanks, Marcus," She said, and he shut the door on his way out.

"I will head back to the store and get some pregnancy tests. You stay here. I'll only be gone for 10 minutes," Annabel assured.