Twenty Six

1 month pregnant - June

"Last year I was appointed New York City's 57th Defense Attorney and it was one of the happiest moments in my life. This city has been a part of my heart ever since I was born. Ever since I was a child, my passion was helping this city and the citizens housed here. To my fellow attorneys, I admire your dedication and motivation. Some of the projects we've worked on were time-consuming and complicated. This past year wasn't easy and I applaud you for your commitment," Diana Kingsley glanced around the front of the Town hall, while camera flashes temporarily lit up her face.

Hundreds of people gathered around for the DA inauguration. It was one of the most important days of the year.

"I'm sure you're all wondering who the next DA is. Before I reveal her name, I would like to share some impressive facts about her. She has received her law degree from Yale Law, has been an attorney for the last 12 years, and has a success rate of 87%. It is with great honor and respect, that I welcome Mrs. Eliza Johnathon," The large audience clapped and another woman walked onto the stage.

Reid pulled out a cigarette, adjusting the Gucci sunglasses that sat on the bridge of his nose. After lighting the cigarette, he took a drag, his eyes trained on Diana. He pulled his phone to his ear after Matteo's name flashed. "Yeah?"

"Please, Reid. Think about your decisions,"

"I've already told you. I want to open another Art Gallery in Georgia, one that will feature artwork by smaller artists. If you don't like that idea, then I will find someone that does," The Maxwell assured. Matteo sighed, and a few seconds later asked, "Smaller artists?"

"Some people are Jacob Owens, Keisha Mai, and Chris Vos. These are all people who don't have a lot of recognition yet but we could change that," Reid suggested, taking another puff of his cigarette.

"And then after that?"

"And then I'm done and I'll retire," He simply said, keeping his eyes on Diana who handed a bible to Eliza. When she placed her hand on it, they read the Oath of Promise.

"Che cosa? Sei fuori di testa? You are at the height of your career. If you end it now, you could be losing so much money!" Matteo asked, frustration laced in his voice. (What? Are you out of your mind?"

"Look, I don't care about the money anymore. I have enough money to last a thousand lifetimes. I've got a fiancé and a baby on the way. I need to focus on them," The Maxwell mumbled, and it was obvious he was excited about the future—their new life together.

While Eliza said her speech to the audience, Diana stood behind her on the stage. The blonde subtly placed her hand on her stomach, her green orbs trained on Reid while she granted him one of her million-dollar smiles.