Remembering You- Prologue

You know when you wake up, even before you check your phone, you try to remember everything, everything you did last day, the long tiring day that made you crawl back to bed, to rest to take a breather just to repeat it again the next day. You try to remember what you worked on sitting in front of your laptop for hours, try to remember how you tried to cool off in the evening, and eventually tire yourself to bed. We do all this unconsciously like we don't even know we are doing it. Something so meager you would never consider a luxury to remember, memories.

When Harry was 5, he was always the first one to memorize all the alphabet, and numbers and always felt proud of himself, the teachers loved him for it. When his mother used to forget where she kept the keys, which she always did, Harry used to remember for her mother because once his mother told him 'thank you, love'. He felt proud again, that I can remember, I remember everything. He grew up hardly ever forgetting anything, his friends used to joke about his memory power. He even reminded his teacher of an assignment due date once just cause he remembered which he later regretted after class when his friends collectively beat his ass obviously.

Every man's memory is his private literature.

Imagine him waking up after a brutal accident that he barely survived just to be told it will have repercussions. He was met with his mother first because she was obviously the one crying and didn't leave his side for fear of her son. He couldn't even hug her with all the needles and bandages. It was all suffocating, he couldn't even breathe but they told him it was for his safety so he could breathe. It was after yet another scan that they discovered that his brain has injured a stupid curved seahorse-shaped organ on the underside of his lobe, the hippocampus injury, they told him it might have done some serious damage.

He obviously shrugged it off well we did a routine checkup I obviously remember me, my mother, and my friends who are here for me. I remember celebrating Alexie's birthday party last week and the terrible hangover later, I remember the road trip to the upstate before this stupid accident. He even named everyone close to him. He was so proud of himself that he did not notice the sad look on each one of them. All he thought was I remember everything. I have all my memories thank you very much. I used to get praised for it. Oh well, I remember it too.

Nobody told him otherwise that day, or after a week, or even after he was discharged.

On the day when he was discharged, when he got all his things back, his clothes, his wallet, a pearl necklace, and all his rings. He loved his rings. He put them on the rings sliding on each finger they are meant to be. When he finally noticed his ring finger without any ring but with a round mark on his skin, it made him feel uneasy. It made him realize something. He did after all forget something.

Or Someone.

But nobody told him otherwise again.