Chapter 23:- At least we tried(Present)

Confrontations are not really an admirable situation. Actually, it's the opposite of that. We tend to avoid that many times. Well, mostly because we are not comfortable when asked to face the truth or the after-effects of it. Isn't this the reason why we try to make excuses in front of our parents when asked about the outcomes of our exams or why we hesitate to tell someone we like them?

But sometimes it's both. It was a long time coming Harry thinks. He has made enough excuses and did his best to stall for as long as he could. But he knew it wasn't going to last forever. Especially when every cell of his body longs for Zayn.

He needed space and Zayn being the sweetheart that he is understood that. Never pestered Harry about it. But now he knows enough is enough. That's the sole purpose of this dinner Harry knows. Even though Lex coaxed him to believe it isn't, to try and make him comfortable but Harry thinks he is finally smart enough to see through his friend's lies.

As he gets ready to meet them. He looks at himself in the mirror and he thinks he is at some sort of peace. He sees every version of himself through the mirror which breaks out a small smile on his face.

The broken son who thought his father had left him because he is a horrible son. The naive sixteen-year-old self who first had a taste of what it feels like to love someone. All the while experiencing new things about his own self.

Because Harry knows now he loved Zayn since the moment he locked eyes with him. No, it wasn't because he has this gorgeous otherworldly model-esque face and big brown eyes with a freckle in it that reminds Harry there is still a speck of imperfection in Zayn. He believes that little flaw reminds him that he is human.

There was something there between them, a strong connection like something in the universe settled seeing them sharing the same space. Like whatever their souls are made of Harry is sure now that his and Zayn's are the same. There is just no other way to explain it.

His love-sick self got his heart broken too and he spent years trying to hate Zayn, but he couldn't, not ever. But now Harry knows Zayn is his true love after all no matter what happened even if he forgot Zayn. His heart didn't. His heart never will.

Harry remembers talking to Luke right before the accident saying that finally he and Zayn can be together. It didn't happen then but if Harry tries harder he is sure he will be able to win over Zayn again. This time he wants to keep Zayn forever for all intents and purposes.

Harry parks his car outside Lex and Luke's apartment with a wine in his hand and tentatively reaches for the door. Luke is the one opening the door for him, "Hazza bear," He screams loudly dashing forward to hug him the wine bottle is trapped between their chests making them uncomfortable but neither of them cares. He just feels giddy listening to his old pet name which he remembers getting irritated about. He never thought the name would ever make him so happy before today.

When Luke finally releases him from the hug, he talks about how thin Harry has gotten. Scolds him probably more than Anne ever did. Jokes about his long hair asking if he is trying to compete with Lex. But Harry sees it, the way he is emotional trying to hold back tears. So Harry hugs him this time joking about how he is not trying to compete. Nobody can compete with his luscious curly locks. He is already a winner.

Harry hears the rest of the group first before he sees them. He hears Lex in the kitchen trying to make Harry's favourite pizza with red sauce and shouting at Nick to not eat the cupcakes they are still hot from the over. He also hears loud laughter from Nick as he explains how it's food, the one thing in life that can never hurt him. Harry can also feel Lex roll his eyes at Nick's dramatics.

He enters the living room and sees the dishes placed on the table and the wine glasses. He nearly starts crying when the familiarity of the set-up starts to bring back his old memories. This is what all five of them used to do whenever they hung out.