Chapter 22:- When it's left(Present)

It's the simple things in life really that sometimes turn out to be the most difficult thing to do. Like how hard can it be, you realise you made a mistake, and you just have to get it right by apologising or showing how sorry you are. But turns out that realising your mistake and taking action towards forgiveness, don't always go hand in hand. It's complicated because sometimes we are stuck by the thought, what if it's too late? What if it doesn't matter anymore? What if the other person doesn't care anymore? There are a lot of what ifs hence very complicated. Or maybe it's not but we complicate it ourselves.

That's why the simple little things in life are not exactly simple. Sometimes it makes all the difference whether you want the other person in your life or not. Harry does, he totally does. He spent the better part of his life trying to forget his dad. He blamed it on his own doing. But it was him all along. So how could he not apologise even though he thinks maybe his dad would never want to see his face ever again?

But he wants to try, he can only hope it's enough. So after contemplating for a whole week ignoring everyone he knows, everyone he cares about, especially Zayn ever since he met his mother Harry has finally come to a decision. He needed that space to think about what he should do next.

It was all too much for him to digest all the information his mother told him. He could feel himself spiralling out of control. He realised all he ever knew, all he had ever construed was nothing but a lie. He didn't know what to do, or who to trust anymore. He knows he just worried every single one of them but he needed to do this alone. He has already done enough damage to all of their lives, what's a little more hate.

Hate, he thinks that's the only fitting word for what he did to them. It was all his mistake. And if they hate him then Harry has nothing but drink in his wandering hands to blame for all that.

No that's a lie he doesn't want anyone to hate him, not his mother and definitely not Zayn.

He finds himself, days later in his dad's living room, it's the first time he has been here. At his dad's house, it feels strange to even realise it. He looks around the panel littered with pictures of his dad's life, which are nothing but proof of his life with his wife and children. And it almost makes him want to run away because it hurts, it hurts so much because it must have been him, his life if only he had not forgotten.

He was supposed to remember how could he ever forget his dad, every single thing is still fresh in his mind, every single time they spent together. But the one thing he forgot was the most important, the thing that changed his life.

Harry looks at the portrait, with his family. He has a book on his desk a small library, and Harry remembers that too, sitting with his dad when he used to read him stories or help him with his homework with them.

He tries to absorb all of it, what his life is now as if that can make up for the lost time. It's wishful thinking. But he is hopeless.

He hears the footsteps approaching and his heart pounding all at once together in sync. When his dad finally appears in front of him. He takes a moment to look at his, how he has not changed at all, still the same. The smile on his face still reminds him of the times when he used to be with him. Only he has gotten older and Harry wants to kick himself because it's another reminder of what he did, of what he lost.

They are seated face-to-face with each other. He needs a moment just one so that he can find the right words to say to him. If there are any right words when Des's words interrupt his thoughts.

"You have grown to be so handsome, my boy." He says with his hands on his lap, Harry never thought he would miss a voice so much. "I mean I have seen the photos, but seeing you face to face I never realized, you would be so much good looking than in the photos. Sorry I am rambling."