Chapter 1 - Annual Wright Beach Streak

You guys, I have created a trailer for this story (right above), so if you are interested in watching that before you read or whenever really, you can get a quick peek into the whole story! This doesn't even do it justice with how deep and humorous the book can get. Thanks for watching and reading!

Love always,

Hayley

After dropping my bags off at home, I told Mom I would be going out. Before the party, however, I decided to walk down to the lighthouse to clear my head. Usually coming home meant keeping Mom busy and helping around the house because for some reason when I was home, it was like I became her physical reminder of Dad.

When she met me at baggage claim tonight though, something was different. She was smiling for one, something I hadn't seen in two years other than for her parties she put together for holidays. The real surprise was she hugged me, she seemed genuinely excited to have me home and instead of returning the love, I stood awkwardly in her arms, like I had forgotten what it felt like to be held by her.

It didn't phase her, she simply grabbed my bags and led the way to her car. I was so stunned, I was frozen in place until she turned back to wave me forward.

Trudging through the deep sand, I still couldn't shake the curiosity. What was so different about her? Had she finally moved on? Had she let go of her grief?

Blowing air out of my cheeks, I stepped up onto the ledge that led to the stairs of the lighthouse.  Climbing up, I rounded the front and took a seat on the edge, listening to the waves in front of me and the creaks the light made as it circled above me.

It was nice to be home, I wouldn't deny that. I loved the ocean and that was simply something that would never change within me. To smell the salt in the air and to hear seagulls again, it made me feel like I could breathe again. It also made me feel...raw.

Like salt on a wound. That was being home though, it was like deliberately rubbing salt on the wound every time I returned.

"I thought I might find you here tonight," a voice said from underneath me.

I peered over the ledge and sighed. Jesse.

"How did you find me?" I asked. My brother's best friend, the surfer everyone in the Cape was in love with, of course.

He crossed his arms as he stared up at me, flipping his light brown hair off of his forehead.

"You've been coming here ever since the--"

"Right," I murmured, cutting off the reminder. "What do you, stalk me or something?"

He snorted. "Wouldn't you like that," he teased.

I laughed softly.

"Don't make me come up there, you're missing one hell of a party," he called up to me.

I glanced down at him and raised an eyebrow.

"Your friend is flirting with every guy in town," he pushed.

"That's nothing new for Lissa," I dismissed.

He tsked his tongue. "Wrong friend."