Chapter 36 - Easy Slugger

Helloooo Jesse. Just thought I would slip this in here to make some girls' hearts swoon, even though he is totally annoying sometimes.

I hope you guys are loving it so far! I really do enjoy feedback and I'd love to know how you guys want this story to end. Seriously, I'm all ears. I think it might surprise you, but you might be able to persuade me otherwise haha.

Thanks, from the bottom of my heart, for all of the votes and reads. It means more to me  than I could ever show.

-Hayley

After some coaxing, Adam finally got me to tell him what was going on. His eyes widened slightly at the bad news, he was kneeling down in front of me and he had a look of concern etched into the lines of his face.

I couldn't stop picturing worst case scenarios of my brother mangled by a car accident. So many things ran through my mind and not one of them did he survive.

Soon, Adam had my frozen body in his car and the others following him in an uber since they were too drunk to drive.

This time, unfortunately, it was a not a dream to be riding in a car with Adam. The ride to the hospital was silent and I was comfortable with it. My heart was experiencing a new level of anxiety and I felt that if Adam were to force me to talk, I would lose air and hyperventilate.

Why was I such a bitch to Jared? He had been through a lot and I treated him terribly once he finally came back home. No wonder he reached out to mom and not me. Why would he? I wouldn't if I were being treated the way I treated him.

Now I won't get the chance to make it up to him. It's too late for me to have my brother back. I let the loss of my Father allow me to ignore the loved ones I still had in my life, leaving me to regret not spending any time with them while they were still here.

"Alice?" Adam called in a far off voice.

All he wanted me to do was play that damn guitar. Why didn't I just play it? Jesse was right, Dad is always here in spirit. I'm so stupid, how I could let this happen?

"Alice?" Adam asked again.

I blinked, coming back to reality and realized I had a few tears rolling down my cheeks. I blinked some more only to glance down at my hand clutching the door so hard it was turning white from the tight grip. I released the handle and shook it out, wincing as I stared at the color returning to it.

He didn't ask again, I'm assuming he was trying to get me to relax my hand. We pulled up to the hospital about ten minutes later.

He came around his car to help me out and we walked as swiftly as we could to the front door.

The uber pulled up to the main doors of the hospital and I could hear Lissa and Jake cackling over the loud music. Demi shoved the door open and sprint toward Adam and I. Of course, I didn't even think about how Demi would be affected by this.

She came to a halt by my side and put an arm around me, tears forming in her eyes.

We gave a knowing glance to each other before heading into the hospital together, Adam behind us making sure I don't pass out. God bless the poor boy.

"Jake stop! We're at a hospital!" Lissa yelled through her giggles.

My blood was beginning to boil because of dickhead Jake. So tired of his immaturity.

Taking a deep breath, however, I stepped up to the front desk ready to ask for Jared Dessen.

"Weren't you just here this morning?" The girl asked.