Chapter 48 - Just a Guy With a Girl

"Jesse!" I ripped the strap off of my ankle, grabbing my board and jogged after him. He was already strapping his board to the top of the jeep.

"So, how about those drinks?" He turned around with a smirk and leaned against his jeep as i jogged up to the front of the jeep.

Bending over, I dropped my board and held my side. "Really need to get back in shape," I gasped.

He chuckled, but grabbed my board out of the sand and began strapping it down on top of his.

Standing up, I leaned against the hood and watched him. He had a quiet focus as he worked the straps around our boards, his arms flexing when he tugged them tight. He wasn't mentioning the light switch thing, which he never misses an opportunity to gloat so where was it? Why wasn't he bringing it up?

"I know, I know," he began. "Rematch," he said without looking at me, reaching for his door.

His eyes met mine, a devilish grin playing on his lips. He jerked his head toward his jeep as if to say let's go.

I stared at him a moment longer before tapping his hood once and hurrying around to the passenger side door. Maybe he never would bring it up.

We shut our doors and suddenly the air around us grew thick with anticipation.

He tapped his steering wheel and let out a shallow breath.

"So, do you have a favorite place here?" he quizzed, putting the jeep in reverse.

I laughed. "I don't go out much," I replied, crossing my legs indian style in his seat.

"Mhmm," he teased. Turning around, he put the jeep in drive and headed south, back into town.

"Why are we never dressed appropriately to go out?" I murmured, staring at my sand covered legs, water dripping from my hair and soaked bikini.

"That's what a life of spontaneity looks like Dess," he glanced over at me and winked, making me roll my eyes.

I cleared my throat and turned away from him, resting my gaze on the houses we were passing. What is happening to me, I wondered.

"What about Leo's?" he asked, adjusting his AC.

"Haven't been there in a long time," I said, tucking some hair behind my ear. "Is it still super crowded?"

He shrugged. "Yes, but it's just Tuesday so it shouldn't be bad at all."

I shot him a look of disbelief. "It's summer Jesse, everything is busy here during tourist season."

"Touche," he laughed. "We'll have fun."

Something about his deep laugh made my stomach jump in excitement. I was going out for drinks with him and not in a forced manner.

"You're drinking the fish bowl tonight," he stated without a glance.

I raised an eyebrow. "Yuck, way too  sweet for me," I gagged.

"Coming from the girl who loves a good margarita," he shot back with a grin. He turned into the parking lot of Leo's Piano Bar and put the jeep in park.

"As much as I enjoy seeing you in a bikini," he reached back and handed me one of his dry shirts and my shorts. "You might want to put this on."

My face was flaming as I grabbed the clothes from his hand. He hopped out of the jeep, not acknowledging the obvious tomato like state of my face. I quickly tugged everything on and jumped out, his shirt huge on me.

I held my arms out as he came around the hood, tugging his own shirt on. He snorted when he saw me.

"I look like a hobo," I grumbled, folding my arms over his shirt.