Chapter 15 - Lessons On Getting The Guy

Death to all typos! I just started a new job haha so I am so exhausted and probably missed a lot. I'll read back through later and fix things.

Please vote y'all! Thanks for reading :)

-Hayley

"Are you about ready to lock up?" I called out to Jesse who was grabbing some fliers off the printer from the back. He stuck a thumbs up out of the door.

I let out a deep breath as I swung the keys around my index finger, leaning against the door. It was a long day to say the least. Jesse, thank goodness, kept his comments to himself for the most part. I think he just felt sorry for me, but either way I was more than okay with a silent Jesse. Customers on the other hand were horrible today. There must be something in the air.

First a little kid back talked me like he was hot shit and demanded the manager because I told him he could not in fact have free things added into the pile of his already ridiculous surf board purchase. Then a mother came in, pissed, that the sunscreen she bought from us didn't work properly and she demanded a refund. I was shocked at that one. I've had a lot of weird complaints, but this was new.

The rest were pretty normal situations for the Surf Shack. Upset mothers saying their children were not able to surf like their annoying children told them they would be able to. Jesse was strategic in his handling of the situation each time and handed them a flier, offering a discount on our annual Surf School. It wasn't actually a discount, he just jacked up the price and gave it to them for the actual price, but regardless it eased them completely. I told him there was something wrong about that. He just smiled and walked away, freshly made out checks in hand.

"Okay," Jesse said as he walked out, his backpack hanging on one shoulder. He slid on his flip flops and grabbed his cell phone and wallet from behind the counter. He rounded the corner and grinned at me.

"Ready?" he chirped.

I raised an eyebrow and held the keys up and shook them.

"Have been," I grumbled and shoved the door open, the bells ringing as they smacked against the glass. "I thought the saying was 'waiting on a woman.'"

He fake laughed as he snatched the keys from me and turned to lock the door. I held my index finger that he yanked and frowned.

"Want to post fliers on your way home? I'll walk with you," he said and handed me half of the pile.

The paper was warm, freshly printed. I held it up to my face and inhaled, the warmth feeling amazing against my nose from the always freezing shop. I also have this really weird obsession with the smell of paper. All paper, be it magazines, books...well maybe not newspaper.

I opened my eyes to see Jesse giving me a weird look.

"You're a freak," he said as he flip flopped past me. He looked back, smirking at my scowl. "You coming?"

I hurried after him and fell into step beside him. We walked along the pier, our footsteps louder on the wood.

"Do you know if Jared is home?" he asked.

I shrugged. "Who knows."

Jesse glanced at me sideways. "He does live with you guys right?"

I nodded. "Just never really see him except in the mornings and late at night," I replied.

We fell silent again, stopping every now and then to staple fliers on light posts along the pier.

"Way to go dork," Jesse joked as he came up from behind me and ripped my flier off the post.