Chapter 14 - Dessen Family Drama

I've been updating to so much! It's all good though because soon I start work and won't be able to as often so I'm really trying to hit the ground running.

Please vote and comment y'all, it would mean the world to me!

-Hayley

I sat on my bed, trying to ignore my impending doom waiting for me at the surf shack with Jesse. I really didn't want to deal with him today and even more than that, I really hoped I didn't see Adam today. The other night with him was a disaster, he dug too deep for my liking and I was mortified to have been touching his sister's guitar. I felt horrible and felt even worse that I couldn't give him what he was asking for.

With a sigh I glanced over to the corner of my room where my closet was. I could see the case peaking out from behind my closet door. I haven't touched it in two years, except to pick it back up form knocking it over on accident.

I chewed my lip as I stared at the gift Dad gave me when I was 12. I swallowed, remembering the message he had engraved into it before my 16th birthday. I clenched my jaw and looked away.

For the past four days, I have been staring at it. It's presence in my room making me uncomfortable, like its calling me out on my own fear. I've carefully avoided it every day that I've gotten up for work.

I shoved my duvet cover off of my legs and threw my legs over the edge of my bed. My feet hit my cold floor and I carefully stepped into my closet, finding a clean pair of shorts, slipping on a pair of flip flops and digging a surf shack shirt out of my drawers. As I pulled it over my head and headed out of my closet I stopped.

I didn't look at it. I couldn't look at it.

Maybe I should.

I took a deep breath before letting my eyes fall on the black guitar case, standing against the wall. I rest my hand on the old leather and let my hand graze down the leather stitching. I reached for the brass buckles. I squat down down next to it, resting the case on its side. I unlatched the buckles and lifted the case open. The familiar smell of oil wafted up to me, immediately making the memories of my Dad, Jared and I playing flood in.

I touched my long lost guitar, letting the smooth texture welcome me. I pulled my hand back and I stared at it. It looked as though I had never stopped playing it. It had scuff marks around the edges, places where I had written on it in sharpie, and my favorite part of my guitar: the message from my Dad engraved on it. It was a simple I love you with his signature, but it meant the world to me. It was his handwriting.

I ran my fingers across the rough, delicate grooves it left in the wood. I felt a smile play on my lips.

I jumped at the sudden sound of knocking on my door.

"Hey Alice?" I heard Jared call from the other side. "Are you awake?"

I quickly shut the case and set it back against the wall behind my closet door and went to open my bedroom door. There stood Jared, all 6'3" of him. He got a haircut, his hair short again and he finally shaved. Golden boy Dessen was back.

"Hey," I said finally, still surprised at the guy staring back at me. Is this my brother? The same one I just saw not 24 hours ago with a weird blonde beard and a bad smoking habit?

He narrowed his eyes and leaned in, peering around me to look at my closet. "Were you playing?"

I shook my head. "No," I said too quickly.

He leaned back, his eyes intent on searching mine to figure out what I wasn't telling him.

"I heard you snap your case shut Al," he pursed his lips and raised an eyebrow. "Trust me, no one can mistake that vintage case you begged everyone for."