Chapter 40 - Don't Be Sharkbait

"Jesse!!!"

One word. One name. One idiot that never fails to piss me off. That name was how my day ended, not that it started out any better. You would have thought that after the sentimental moment of playing the guitar for the first time since my father died and me crying in his arms would have meant something.

Well...they did, but that's besides the point. You would think the idiotic tendencies I've grown accustomed to with Jesse would have stopped, even for just one day.

No. Shark week continued, with full force might I add.

Let me rewind for you.

.......................................

"Wait, what?!" Lissa shrieked.

"You played again?!" Demi shouted, slapping Jared next to her making him wince. She quickly pat him to apologize then directed her attention back to me.

"You let Jesse hold you?!" Lissa shrieked after Demi.

"Oh my gosh, shut up would you?" Demi snapped at her.

"Oh I'm sorry, I was talking to my actual best friend, not to the liar in the room," she responded and crossed her arms.

To say they hadn't gotten over what I had so foolishly blurt out at the hospital was an understatement.

"Guys, can we not make a big deal out of this?" I sighed and stuffed a pillow over my head. "Thanks a lot Jared." My voice muffled from underneath the pillow.

"Payback is a bitch," he murmured under his breath.

Ripping the pillow off of my face, I sat up swiftly and whipped around to face him.

"What did you just say?" I demanded.

"Nothing," he said innocently.

I felt my face visually fuming as I considered the repercussions for injuring him further.

"What have I done to you to deserve payback?" I clenched my hands into fists.

"I can't believe you called me a liar, sorry your boyfriend sucked, like they always do," Demi grumbled.

Lissa blinked and flipped her hair over her shoulder, turning to face Demi.

"Excuse you?" She said slowly.

"You heard me," Demi challenged.

"You left me here with Mom and her new boyfriend!" Jared suddenly exploded. "Do you even know how miserable that was?!"

Shocked, I stared at him, unable to believe his random outburst, but my anger soon took over.

"Oh forgive me! You only left me here with our brooding mother for months after Dad died," I yelled back, tossing a pillow at him.

He shoved the pillow aside, it hitting Demi in the face.

"Hey!" Demi shouted, punching the pillow away, it immediately smacking me in the head.

"Ow!" I responded, moving my hand to cradle my stitches.

"You bitch," Lissa spit.

"I can't believe you would use that against me," Jared pointed his finger at me as I held my hands up and rolled my eyes.

"You're the most self centered bitch I've ever met. How could you possibly think he wouldn't cheat on you?!" Demi fumed.

"You knew what was going on in my life!" Jared yelled at me.

"Oh did I?" I mocked. "No! I didn't! Because everyone left me out of the loop in my own life since Dad died!"