Chapter 35 - The Kardashians : A Guilty Pleasure

Jake busted into laughter next to Lissa on the couch.

"I bet that wasn't the reaction you were expecting man," he tossed a ball at Adam's head, but he caught it quickly in one swift movement and shook his head. His eyes slowly met mine and he seemed rather confused.

I can not believe Lissa would allow him to be here at a time like this. When I look like this. With a sigh, I quickly avert my eyes from his blue ones and sat on the opposite side of the room, grabbing one of Lissa's over-sized blankets to curl up in.

Demi sent me a look of sympathy as Adam's eyes burned holes into the side of my head. I hated to admit this, but I've never wanted Jesse around so bad in my entire life. Hell, I'd rather have Jared and that's saying a lot.

"So No Name," Jake started, planting a kiss on the side of Lissa's head. "I'm assuming you don't feel well enough to go out with all of us tonight?"

Lissa smacked him.

"Ow!" he rubbed his head and Lissa grimaced in apology.

I shrugged. "Yeah," I laughed. "I don't think I'll be going anywhere for a few days."

"Yeah, that bump on your head looks pretty bad," Jake confirmed.

I stared at him, waiting to see if he realized how that came across, but he just kept nodding his head in agreement with himself.

There's nothing up there is there, Jake? Just music and an obsession with leather pants.

I glanced down at my phone to see why it lit up suddenly and saw Jared's name. With a sigh, I slid the message open.

How are you?

How am I? Really? How do you think Jared?

Tossing my phone to the floor, I carefully shifted so I could lay down on the couch and was forced to face the rest of the room.

Adam, every now and then, would steal an occasional glance. I tried to ignore it, but his blue eyes felt as though they were piercing my very soul.

Memories of being in his car before we left for New York flooded my mind. I shuddered at the dream, but ached at the sudden realization that my father's presence was merely just a dream.

"Alice?" Lissa snapped her fingers. "Hello?"

"Huh?" I blinked, realizing I had missed something she asked.

"Did you want us to stay with you tonight?" She repeated herself.

"Oh," I murmured, saddened at the fact that she wouldn't be staying with me tonight. Demi looked guilty, but I suppose someone needs to be there for Jared too. Because I know that's exactly what she is going to go do.

"Yeah, I don't mind," I finally replied, realizing I can have total peace while watching movies for a few hours while they're gone. They are talkers and it drives me absolutely insane during movies.

"Are you sure Al?" Demi pushed.

With a fake encouraging smile, I  gave a curt nod, laying my head back down on the fluffy white pillow to go to sleep.

"Who wants to pre-game?" Jake bellowed.

Demi sighed and I felt Adams's eyes on me once again.

Choosing to ignore the rowdy bunch, I settled into the couch and watched the Kardashians on TV. Why it was on Enews in Lissa's house of all places, I don't know. Her family is one to disown someone should they find out you watch their show.

Personally, I don't care for them, but it's entertaining to say the least so whatever. I found myself drifting off to sleep on and off with the hum of music in the background during their "pre-game." It didn't bother me since they were in the backyard, but every now and then you could hear Jake yelling something out.