Bonus Chapter - The Vanderlins

Taking a a very careful seat on the loveseat, I adjusted my dress.

The little notebook sat there, the one I would read my vows to Jesse from.

With a smile, I ran a finger across its navy cover, relishing the rough texture. Months of working on those very words all boiled down to this moment.

I took in every detail of the bridal suite while I had a moment to myself: the smell of my flowers, the sound of music coming from outside, the distant chatter of family and friends.

Today was the day.

I twisted the dainty necklace around my neck. The tiny gold pendant was made from my father's wedding ring, gifted to me from Mom just this morning. While it was nothing compared to having him here with me, at least I had something from him.

It was strange, him not being here. I never imagined what today would be like without him. Sure, Jared was walking me down the aisle before taking his place next to Jesse as his Best Man, but even then, I never once thought about how it would feel not having my father here.

Letting out a breath, I reached for the notebook and carefully opened it to my vows. I smiled as I ran a hand across my messy penmanship before turning to an empty page.

The past year has been filled with pages from my heart, all about learning how to experience my feelings. Paper was often where they made themselves known and what better way to experience my Dad than to write.

Dear Dad,

I'm getting married today, Dad. I'm marrying Jesse.

I'm speechless. Honestly. Did you ever see that coming? I didn't and yet, it was always going to be him wasn't it, Dad? I wonder if you knew.

I smiled.

Gah, I love him. I love him more than I thought possible.

I feel your love today. I see evidence of you everywhere I turn. Maybe I should be sad, but all I feel is peace today.

I suppose everything turned out alright, didn't it? Not that you ever expected anything less.

I do miss you...but for once, words escape me. Not even a melody can dance to my feelings today.

You once told me that meant it was time to write something new. The chords had played their tune and it was time for my hands to move.

I sighed.

You should be here.

A knock brought me out of my writing.

"Is it safe to come in?" Jared poked his head through the door, his hand covering his eyes.

"You can look Jar," I laughed.

His hand slid down and his blue eyes met mine.

I felt tears begin to form as I took in my brother in his suit, so handsome.

He stepped inside the suite, closing the door behind him. He leaned back against the door, shaking his head.

"Isn't this so weird?" I sniffed and carefully wiped the tears away. "I'm getting married."

"You look so beautiful," he choked.

"No, don't cry because I'll cry," I turned away from him and instead stared at the notebook.

Jared appeared beside me.

"There's nothing like the beginning of a new song after the last one leaves the room," Jared said quietly.