Chapter 79 - Man of Few Words

"To Alice and Dawsyn!" Brooke shout over the chatter in our apartment.

"To Alice and Dawsyn!" People yelled and we all clinked champagne glasses before taking a sip.

Adam slung am arm around my shoulders.

"My No Name, the Next New Songwriter of Capitol," he smiled at me. "I might steal you for myself."

I shook my head, still bashful that I even won.

"Dude, can we just acknowledge that you held out on us for three years?" Brayden slurred, waving his glass in front of me.

"Explain yourself," Brooke grinned and hopped onto the counter in front of Adam, Brayden and I.

"And while you're at it, explain this," Brooke pointed at Adam and I.

I laughed and Adam took a step away from me.

"No this," Adam explained and smiled at me. "Little Alice here is taken."

Brooke furrowed her eyebrows. "Boy, don't you think I would know if my roommate had a boo?"

Adam chuckled. "She doesn't."

I sighed and caught Brayden staring at me.

"So," he began, leaning onto the counter. "Y'all really aren't a thing?"

"Nope," we said together.

"I wish," Adam said and playfully judged me.

"Holy fuck, who is that delicious piece of meat?" Brooke sat up straight, staring at the door.

"Gah, you and Lissa really need to meet," I murmured.

"Brooke, guys aren't pieces of meat," Brayden shoved her.

I turned to see who she was speaking about and my heart stopped.

"Shit," I mumbled.

"What?" Brooke's faze fixed onto me.

"Talk to him," Adam nudged me.

"Adam," I sighed.

"Hold the phone," Brooke held her hand up. "He's yours too? I'm coming home with you next time."

Brayden scoffed and I shook my head as Jesse shifted uncomfortably at the front door as girls stared at him and guys glared. I didn't blame them.

He caught sight of me in the kitchen, his eyes clearly registering I was standing next to Adam. I swallowed.

He shoved off of the door and walked over to us, maneuvering around drunk people with ease until he stood before us.

"Damn," Brooke said. He glanced at her, confused.

Adam stuck his hand out and Jesse placed his firmly into Adam's.

They nodded at each other before Adam offered him a drink.

"A beer is fine man, thanks," he shifted up against the counter near us.

"Brooke," I stood up straight. "This is Jesse."

"Oh," her eyebrows raised. She hopped off of the counter and planted a kiss on his cheek.

"It's about time you came to Texas," she winked. He looked stunned before he recovered in time for Adam to hand him a beer.

"And this is Brayden," I shoved my thumb over at him.

"Y'all worked together this summer right?" he asked.

Jesse nodded.

"You're a man of few words aren't ya hun?" Brooke smirked and leaned against the counter next to him. She was flirting with him, but it was harmless.