Epilogue - 8 Months Later

Want to follow Alice on Instagram for a fun peek into their lives? @alicedessen

Jesse's POV

Subways. Why were subways a collection of the weirdest human beings in NYC?

Disgusted by the discolored liquid beside my right foot, I inched my way closer to the sliding door, desperate to get out of this confined space.

The subway came to a stop and as I stepped onto the platform, I breathed again.

"Damn," I whispered to myself as I eyed the mass amount of people walking in all directions.

I set off to weave my way through them, to climb the steps to the street.

"Come to lunch, she said," I murmured to myself. "It'll be fun, she said."

Someone ran into me, nearly making me lose my balance and I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose as I took the steps two at a time.

I begged her to choose LA. LA was where my chain managers for the Surf Shack were anyways, but no. Lissa was in New York City. It was closer to home.

With a sigh, I tugged my coat tighter and stuffed my hands into my pocket. I felt it in my pocket and grew nervous again. 

Seeing Lissa would be good for me, I needed someone to make fun of. I needed a distraction.

I turned left and jogged across the street to reach her tiny three bedroom apartment. She was so proud of it.

When she showed me, I thought it was just an option.

"What a dump," I murmured as my eyes scanned the torn 70s wallpaper and leaky bathroom pipes.

"Hey!" All three of them shout at me.

They named it Petunia. Petunia supposedly was not my biggest fan.

I walked up to their white wooden door that yes, had cracks in it and let in cold air. They still defended 'Petunia.'

I knocked loudly, knowing they were probably in someone's bedroom doing God knows whatever girls do.

The door shot open to reveal Brooke, Al's former college roommate.

"Hey there handsome," she leaned against the door frame and smirked.

"Brooke," I smiled at her.

We've grown closer with all of my visits this fall. I find Brooke and Lissa to be entertaining. They honestly make me feel better about my life.

"Come in," she stepped aside. "She's almost here."

She gave me a once over as I stepped inside and unwrapped my scarf to hang on their coat hanger.

I spotted the printed mug shot of Olivia on the wall next to the door.

"This is still here?" I laughed.

"I'd leave it up too after what she did to y'all," Brooke shrugged.

So, it turned out Olivia was actually doing some heavy scheming against the Dessen siblings which in turn included all of us.

She was finally caught admitting the whole roofied situation and a few other things that didn't even pertain to us. She was arrested for vandalizing Carter's car.

I would laugh if I weren't so angry at her for causing so much pain. It also turned out she was the mastermind behind the text message I got about Alice and Adam last summer. She sent me a video of the two of them making out on his kitchen counter. We were dating so I was too angry not to make assumptions. Too angry to ask when the video really was taken.