Chapter 47 - You're Staring

*cue "what lovers do" by Maroon 5*
Simply because its awesome and catchy and a good mood setter...

"Aw, Baby Dess, it's okay!" Jesse called after me. I spit water out of my mouth, grabbing for my board. Sliding back on, I paddled back out as he was riding a wave toward me, walking to the edge, completely showing off.

He grinned as he reached down to slap water in my face before jumping off the board, bursting through the surface.

"Jesse 2, Alice 1!" He shouted, pumping his fist in the air as he shook his hair off of his forehead.

I rolled my eyes, turning around, ready to catch the next wave. I paddled hard, pushing myself up to balance as I passed him. Smirking, I danced a little on the board and sang out a fun song before hopping off.

Breaking through the surface, I watched him laughing, sitting on his board, simply wading in the dark water.

"Touché," he admitted and continued laughing.

"Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, been wishin' for you," I sang in a high voice as I paddled back to him.

"I think we have a tie," I smiled, coming to a stop next to him.

He scoffed. "Creativity doesn't equate to skill Dess, meaning I win," he jabbed a thumb to his chest.

My jaw dropped. "Not true!" I exclaimed. It was frustrating enough catching a wave right now, they were few and far between tonight. "That's not fair," I set my jaw.

He pursed his lips, attempting not to laugh and did a slight hair flip to get his hair out of his eyes. The droplets of water sprayed me because of his close proximity.

"Ugh," I sighed, wiping the water away from my eyes.

He leaned forward, making me instinctually lean away, catching me by surprise. "Don't worry," he began as a smile grew on his lips. "If you're lucky, we can come back for a rematch."

My heart skipped and if it weren't dark outside, my cheeks would surely be bright red. He was talking about coming back for night surfing? Me and him?

Snap out of it Alice, he's taunting you. Do NOT go weak on me now.

I shook my thoughts away and rolled my eyes to recover from my pause.

He grinned, knowing he caught me off guard. Gosh, not once, but twice we would be out here? People were going to have so much fun spreading rumors about us.

Oh, act like that bothers you.

Blinking, I narrowed my eyes at Jesse.

"Please, I don't need it," I said firmly.

"Look around sweetheart," he spread his arms wide, my eyes following his lead. He was right. "There's not a wave in sight."

Sweetheart. Shit, what is happening to me? My heart is totally betraying me, acting like a teenage girl who just talked to the senior quarterback.

So, my reaction was to revert back to childhood.

I leaned forward and quickly shoved him over while he was looking away.

"Ah!" he shouted, waving his arms to keep his balance, but quickly slipped off of his board with a splash.

He broke through the surface laughing and began swimming toward me.

"Oh no," I warned as I paddled away, clearly not fast enough. He grabbed the tip of my board and with all of his weight, he pushed down, dumping me forward.

My mouth was open as I went over, leaving me to cough and sputter water, my hands desperately moving my long hair out of my face.

"Jesse you son of a," I breathed, turning around to find him leaning on my board, his chin resting on his forearms.

"Oh sorry," he gasped. "I was drowning."

Humor danced in his eyes as he watched me. Moving to the left of his arms, I rest mine, sighing and catching my breath from the coughing.

We sat in silence, our feet kicking softly beneath the surface. Taking a deep breath, I let it out slowly and stared up into the stars.

"It seems night likes us," Jesse said.

Furrowing my eyebrows, I turned to him in confusion.

"You know," he pointed up. "Because we keep ending up together at night."

He laughed at my expression.

"What a freaaaak," I murmured.

"Pshh," was his response. "Come on, I never imagined going night surfing with Allison Desson, ever," he said softly.

Out of the corner of my eye, I glanced at him. He was watching me.

"Funny how things happen," I murmured, my heart beating so frantically I felt like it was stuck in my throat.

He smiled. "That's no joke," he said and went back to watching the water. His face glowed blue from his glow sticks, but the color didn't take away from his obvious mood, he seemed at ease.

Tilting my head, I took in the curve of his nose and his strong jaw line. His wavy hair, despite his efforts, fell back onto his forehead and touched his long eyelashes.

"You're staring," he said without looking my way. Suddenly a grin appeared. "If I didn't know any better, I'd think you really were beginning to like me."

Barely registering his words, my eyes stayed locked onto his profile. He glanced at me, his grin falling.

His eyes searched mine before he finally let out a deep breath.

"You want to go grab a drink?"

Glancing away, I laughed. "Probably not a good idea for me," I reluctantly admitted, remembering the last time I did that, I made out with a rockstar and punched a girl.

He rest his chin on his forearms again, tilting his head toward me. "Why's that?"

"Probably end up kissing you or something," I shuddered.

His hazel eyes locked onto mine. "What's wrong with that?"

The question shocked me, making me fully face him to see if he was joking or not. He was serious. He didn't budge, not a muscle, not a twitch, not even a blink...which was borderline creepy.

"Ah," I managed to squeak out unable to find words.

Then he broke into a smile, lifting his head. "I'm kidding Baby Dess, we should get back though."

He pushed off of my board and slid back onto his, beginning the paddle back to shore.

"You see?" He called back.

I began paddling after him, confused. "See what?"

"I can be a light switch too, Al," he replied.

I stopped, balancing on my board to wade in the water as I watched him move away from me.

Ouch. I recognized that line and I said no. I turned off.

The water lapping around me brought my senses back to my surroundings. I let out a deep breath and knocked my knuckles onto the board.

"Dammit," I whispered.

Jesse couldn't win a competition and be right in one night. It's simply too much for his ego...and too much for my pride.

I took a few deep breaths, leveling my board back out and began paddling once more.

"Wait!" I called after him. He was not right and I refused to let my night surfing experience end at that moment. This night had only just begun and I wasn't about to bow out to fear.

Breaking this up in order for an update to be released sooner, love y'all!