Chapter 50 - Caught

"Alice," someone said from the other side of my bedroom door. There was a soft knock. "Alice," they repeated.

"Hmm," I mumbled, stretching further across the comfortable bed.

The door creaked open and Jesse popped his head in. "Hey," he said quietly, his hair soaked like he had just gotten out of the shower. He smiled as he slowly showed a cup of coffee and a banana.

"You're amazing," I murmured at the sight of the objects he held.

"Still not a morning person huh?" He laughed softly, pushing the door open, showing his half clad form. He walked over to me as I sat up in bed to take the coffee cup he was holding out to me.

"Thank you," I said before taking the first glorious sip.

"Ah, well you're also a bed hog," he commented as he moved around to the other side and sat next to me, resting his head on the headboard, folding his hands in his lap.

Peeking over the rim of the mug, I watched him. Why was he being so...not himself.

I lowered the mug and took my first good look at my surroundings. Jesse's room, not mine, his.

He winced. "That was the look I was afraid of," he murmured.

I glanced at him and shook my head. "Don't worry, I'm not hungover and I remember everything," I said in order to put him at ease, now understanding why he was acting strange. "Just one of those moments you expect to wake up in your room because it's what you're used to, you know?"

I set the coffee on his nightstand and grabbed the banana. As I peeled it, I ignored his obvious stares and decided to take inventory of his room. I've only ever been to his apartment twice and his room once to pick up some clothes for him.

It was pretty bare actually, besides the surfboards resting against the walls, it was just normal things. A few books here and there, but what surprised me once again was his lack of TV.

"As a part of the male species, I still don't understand how you go without a tv," I wondered out loud.

He shrugged and sunk further into the bed, resting his head on a pillow next to my legs.

"I'm never home," he replied.

"Gosh I could binge watch Netflix shows for hours," I admitted, swiftly taking a bite of the banana.

"Yeah," he laughed. "And you watch it on your laptop even when you have a TV right in front of you."

"Guess you get used to the small screen at school, I don't know," I shrugged. I carefully set the banana back on the nightstand, avoiding his watch and his cell phone on the charger. As I pulled my hand away, it struck me that he left his phone in here with me.

That's trust. Especially for the amount of girls I'm sure try to get with him.

I glanced over at him to find his eyes closed.

"Are you still tired?" I asked. Soon after the mind blowing kiss in the ocean, we made our way back to his place. The atmosphere around us was nervous and excited as we laughed through the streets. He was careful not to push me and I was careful not to make assumptions. We remained that way, wondering where we stood, knowing we couldn't go back to the way things were, but were we wanting something more?

"Like I said," he mumbled. "You're a bed hog."

The amazing thing was, nothing was awkward. He was right, it's just us, all of the time in everything we do. It didn't matter if he was dropping green goo on me or kissing me for the first time in water, we were just Jesse and Alice, we always would be. This brought a lot of comfort, knowing everything would be okay regardless of what we made of this.