Chapter 13 - Feather Boas and Air Guitar

ADAM'S POV

I sat at the kitchen table eating my food. I held a piece of toast in my hand as I bounced my knee up and down on the stool, still wondering about her. What happened last night? What was that?

Get your shit together Hawkins.

I couldn't stop thinking about our conversation. There was no doubt that she intrigued me. There is something so delicate and mysterious about her. The way she carries herself, the look she gets in her eye when something interests her even though she tries acting like it doesn't.

What happened to you No Name? When did you start forcing yourself to stay on one level when you were born to be so much more?

I knew the second I asked about playing I had struck a chord, no pun intended. Her entire body language changed. She tensed up immediately and this blank look fell onto her face. I felt like shit for being the one that made her hole up again. It was obvious she wasn't the type of girl to open herself up often, if at all anymore.

Her Dad's death changed her life. That much was clear, but even when Sydney passed I never closed myself off to the world. I don't understand what it was about her situation that made her so...afraid. If anything, I became bolder after I lost Syd. I missed her desperately, she was my best friend, but I made her a promise and I had faith she was with me in a sense, regardless.

I drummed my fingers against the counter, staring at my eggs that were now cold and taking on a rubber look. My appetite now gone, I sighed and stood up to take it to the sink. I looked up at the sound of the front door crashing open. I heard a shh and a small giggle. Smirking, I began washing my plate off. I knew it was Jake and Lissa. Their little fling was beginning to be very...not like Jake.

"Jake stop!"

"Shh...him and Alice are probably asleep!" Jake tried to whisper. He failed. Miserably.

I cleared my throat and crossed my arms as I leaned against the counter. I watched the drunk couple stumble into the kitchen and try to straighten up. They looked like high school kids getting caught by their parents.

"Oh, Adam," Jake said surprised. I narrowed my eyes and tried to hide a grin as he attempted to stay upright. Well, his definition of upright at the moment, was more like toppling over into Lissa.

"Oh sorry," he breathed onto Lissa. She scrunched her nose up.

"You need to brush your teeth," she bit back a laugh as she held her nose. Jake furrowed his eyebrows before licking the back of his hand and smelling it. He glanced up at me.

"I don't smell anything," he held his hand out to me. "Do you smell anything?"

I pursed my lips, trying very hard not to laugh and I shook my head. "I'll pass dude."

"Where is Alice?" Jake quizzed.

"She's home," I replied. I grabbed a towel to begin drying the left over dishes from the past few nights.

"You didn't bang her?" Jake scoffed. I snapped my head up to shoot him a warning look. Lissa's eyes widened as she looked back and forth between the two of us.

"Ohhh no," she slurred and put one hand on Jake's shoulder, the other pointing at me...or in my general direction at least. It was amusing to watch the two struggle to act normal.

"You are supposed to be a good one," she said taking a shaky step forward. Jake swayed a bit at the absence of her hand on his shoulder. He stared at the kitchen table intently like he was trying to make out what it was.