[C51]The Mothers

Back to Vivienne's POV:

I looked through a glass wall at a hospital style room. Their infirmary hall was similar to the one Romona held charge of at the pack house. Brendon was being treated with an IV drip. Monitors were keeping an eye on his heartbeat.

'He wouldn't be there if it wasn't for how selfish I was. Of course I wanted to save this pack... but if I knew it would almost cost his life... I wouldn't not have persuaded him.'

'You cannot blame yourself,' Arwen told me quietly.

'I want you to stay with him until he wakes up,' I told her. 'Let me know as soon as he does.'

'What will you do?'

'I am the only one awake. I have to deliver orders to our packmates.'

I heard footsteps that broke me from my conversation with Arwen. I looked down the hall to see my father walking up to me in a fast pace. We were now in our human forms. The alpha of Blacktail Growlers was kind enough to provide us with clothes. We would only remain here until Brendon wakes up.

My father, Calix stopped in front of me. He turned to look at Alpha Brendon. He sighed heavily before looking at me. "I have bad news," he told me. I stiffened up as I motioned for him to continue. "A messenger from Everfur Howlers sent word to our pack. Unfortunately we've been here dealing with this at the same time. Everfur, was dealing with a same ambush."

I gasped and felt my knees go weak as I fell to the ground.

Brendon's sister went there with her mate- the alpha. What- if... I have to tell Brendon bad news as soon as he wakes up. "Who are the casualties?" I asked.

"I'm sure they'll know in the same times as us," my father told me as he knelt down and pulled me back up. He glanced around and pulled me into a hug. "You have to be stronger now," he whispered in my ear. "We're in a different territory. We can't show any weakness. It's bad enough our alpha almost died."

"Father," I growled out. "We have bigger things to worry about."

"They say... Lamia was there in Everfur herself. Her army was larger then the one sent here," he whispered to me. "They'll have more casualties."

"What am I to do?" I asked him in tears. "If they don't have enough people... If our death rate was too high... What if... I can't save the packs?"

"I need to tell you something," he told me as he pulled me into the room and shut the door. We sat down in chairs by Brendon's bed. "It's about your brother Calcifer, actually." I raised an eyebrow as I leaned in to hear him out.

Father...

Is talking for once?

"In specific... It's about his birth mother."

"Holy shit," I muttered. "You don't talk about that," I blurted out. He chuckled as he took my hands.

"Well it's an insult to Romona."

"How so?"

"She raised all of you. You're her children. She didn't want me to tell any of you about who I slept with."

"Why not?"

"Because she didn't want it to effect how you saw her."

"Why would it?"

"Children's minds are easy to influence," he told me.

"None of us are children, dad."

"I know," he sighed out and looked pleased. "Your brother's birth mother was Sereph Ioduntiot. At the time I met her she was an alpha's daughter. Our packs were actually at war over recourses. I fell in love the moment I met her. And, she died during childbirth. I've kept his background a secret all these years because her father never approved of us. So, even though Cal by birth could have been pack Ioduntiot's future alpha... he was disowned."