[C54]Pack Loss

Continuation of Malakai's POV:

We ran like wildcats through the trees. I haven't transformed, yet. I instead panted as I dodged trees. My bare feet barreled into sharp twigs. I wanted to snap and cry. I wanted to cringe and stop running. But damn if I did... I would loose my head! I could hear screams and growling. I remember busting through the pack's entrance. As we reached the front. Reality set in. Lamia's army was huge. They came well prepared with trucks in mind to take some of us back.

Where would they take us?

My legs felt weak at the thought of getting caught.

What if someone from the pack sees me running like a coward?

No one here was running. They were fighting for this territory.

It might be so that our alpha is away but that didn't stop us from defending territory. The pack mates was going at it for their lives. They wouldn't leave willingly.

The vampires simply outnumbered us.

I could tell by the size of people. The mass that came in.

It looked different from the war party brought to Blacktail. They had extra vehicles. It almost seemed like they planned to hit here last. So the members of this strategy decided to gather thicker for the last battle.

If they kill half if not two thirds of us here? Kept the rest for whatever filthy desires were bet? Then they already won over us.

Lamia. Holy shit, she will win.

Marquis lead the way for about ten minutes in the forest. Until we heard someone up ahead and our feet came to a pause. We caught the scent of another army approaching us. The one that came from Everfur was meeting the Blacktail invaders here.

"Marquis," I whispered.
"This is unexpected," he admitted.

Unexpected?
Did they know he'd come for me?
No.... how could they be that clever?

"Climb a tree," he suggested. "They haven't noticed us and we can hide up there above their scents."
I looked around for a tree I could climb up in but he picked me up bridal style. I felt him jump and suddenly we were above ground perched in a tree.

He gave me a look to keep quiet.

I watched as the second army moved through the trees. My breath caught.
They have no idea....
This size of people will...
Wipe us out.
We can't win against this army. The one sent to Everfur had more bodies then the one from Blacktail.

'My moon,' I cursed towards Moro.
'We have to find our alpha and tell him,' Moro suggested.

That was true.

We waited until the forest grew quiet. I let out a shaky breath and looked at Marquis.
"Where's Sowle?" I wondered.

"He wasn't with the army," Marquis muttered. "He volunteered to lead those troops so I could come here and get you in secret."

"Is he okay?" I mumbled.

"I'm not sure," he admitted.

We dropped from the ground and I pushed him away from me.
"What are they doing here, really? This isn't a pesturing attack... they're taking out the weak members right away."

"They're not killing off everyone. The ones alive will be put through the system."
"What system?"
"Remember human history when they use to sex traffic? Until our ancestors came out of hiding and invented new laws and forced their way through the politics and took over as leaders... humans did terrible things. There are our kind, vampires, out there now that do the same thing. But, we call it officially blood trafficing. Once your a slave your master has full power over you and Lamia- once she governs your territories will control a big part of that. NO one cares what she's doing here. Your pack will be put through the system. She will build bigger warehouses and-"

"I heard enough," I told him fast.

This is a supernatrual world...
And, it's becoming the strongest surrvive.

"Your kind will be enslaved if she has her way," he told me. "And, she will. Your not the only pack territories she's taken down. Your just now in her way."

"It doesn't help with the history of Fang."

I sighed.

"Why would my brother... help her?"
"She's seduced him at first... then later he discovered how much he likes what she's about. She promises him a wealthy spot amongst her people.

"Marquis Knowles," I heard a familar voice say. "Are you committing treason with adbidding and escape?" Niall's voice echoed through the trees. I followed the echos to catch him standing in the tree line. He aimed us down with a riffle.

"Niall," I gasped out and stepped out in front of Marquis to protect him.
He won't shoot.
He won't.

"Get out of my way, Malakai," Niall growled out.
"NO! Don't shoot! You don't have to. Just let us get away," I told him. Marquis touched my shoulder.

"I can protect us," Marquis promised. He leaned in and kissed my cheek. "Then we can be together."

What?
'What?' Moro copied.

"Are you two mated?" Niall asked and sounded insulted.
"Yes," Marquis said like he claimed me already.

Whoa! No... I'm mated to... Eder.
Something told me to just go with it.

"Yes, and we love each other very much," I lied to Niall.

Please just walk away, Niall.

"That's disgusting," Niall snarled.

"No different from you and Lamia," I snarled back.

"Get out of my way, Mal!"

Niall looked offended.
I can't tell him Eder is who I really feel... for.

"Just let us go," I begged.

Niall raised his gun and in the split second I thought he would shoot us both. He lowered it in frustation. "Then get out of here before they know what's happening here," Niall growled out in annoyance.

Victory.

Marquis shook his head when I turned to face him.

"We can't trust he won't just shoot us the moment I turn around."

I looked over my shoulder. Niall rolled his eyes and turned away first. Actually turned around... and walked away. We waited patiently until we were sure he left our side.

"That was surprisingly easy."

"I think he just loves his family deep down," I whispered. "Despite betraying us." We were free to go now. Marquis took my arm and pulled me into a run to be on our way.

Niall's POV:
I never said I didn't love family. My mind rocked back and forth... If I were to be discovered... that I didn't kill Marquis... After Lamia asked me to... She would surely kill me.
She can't find out.

I picked up my phone from my pocket. My legs taking me back to the familiar pack house. I answered my phone to hear Lamia's voice.
"Did you finish the job?" She asked in a sweet voice.
So fake...

"I did," I told her.

I could still remember Sowle's dying breath. His curse he gave me...

"Good. Come home." She hung up on me as I reached the tree line.

I looked at the trucks they had lined up to take away my pack mates. I already will be busy putting them through the system when I get home.

My throat caught as I saw Nena being forced into one of the trucks. I balled up my fist in anger.

F-fuck.

Where's Lowell and Lilith- no I will find out later.
And, Destery? NO!

I couldn't move. I just watched them struggle as they moved everyone into the trucks.

I walked up the Meynard and he handed me a water bottle. "I want names," I told him as I looked around at the pack mates. No one dies. Their lives are very valuable now. I want you to get their names so I can properly ID and put them through the system."

"Yes, sir," he said sharply. Our fight was done but I still felt hatred for him.

After all, he killed Cal.